Thread: ZA blocks FTP access when computer shares internet to another PC

jachu Guest

Default ZA blocks FTP access when computer shares internet to another PC

Helo.

I have a PC at home connected to the Internet via local ISP (Ethernet access) and Zone Alarm has worked with this acces fine. I have always fresh ZA version.

Few days ago I decided to share my internet connection to the notebook I have. Thus in "Local LAN Connection" ticked "Share this connection to another users" (translate from Polish MS Windows XP Prof). Everything works fine, I have a access to all services in the internet apart from ftp service wchich doesn't work on none of the two computers, simply I have no access to any ftp sites.

When I shut down ZA - ftp access works fine. When I switch off internet sharing - ftp access works fine again too. When I have both internet sharing ang Zone Alarm switch on - ftp doesn't work.

Notebook is connected to the PC via WLAN (previously - USB network bridge, the problem was the same).

I have found no solution in this forum - Only BrightSoul has reported the similar problem here
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=36982

Could anyone help me ?

Best regards,

Jachu

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: ZA blocks FTP access when computer shares internet to another PC

The free version of ZA doesn't support ICS. You have three options. Upgrade to the Suite or pro version, get a router so that you can use the free version on all machines. Or lower the internet security settings to medium.

Something that might work is to run a proxy server on the gateway machine and then point the clients to it. There is a simple free proxy server at www.analogx.com

My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

jachu Guest

> The free version of ZA doesn't support ICS. You have three options.
    > Upgrade to the Suite or pro version, get a router so that you can use the free version on all machines.
    > Or lower the internet security settings to medium.
    > Something that might work is to run a proxy server on the gateway machine and then point the clients to it.
    > There is a simple free proxy server at www.analogx.com

I do have Medium security level and it still doesn't help.
    If fhe free version of ZA doesn't support ICS so why only ftp doesn't work and any other protocol (http, p2p including Skype) does ?
    Again - ftp doesn't worh on BOTH machines - "donor" PC and "guest" notebook, so why proxy may had helped ?

FTP, Are you trying to use Active or passive FTP? If you are using active, try passive.

jachu Guest

Hi, I have tried both.

Well, that is all I can think of. Its not meant to be used that way, so maybe it can't be used that way.

Thread Information