Thread: ZA causing problems, Help?

Hybrid View

irzapper Guest

Default ZA causing problems, Help?

Hello,
    I'm new to ZA, just installed ZA Pro for the first time.
    Now, none of my other programs that I
    had configured to automatically start when windows opened, no longer open.
    What's up?
    I had about eight icons that I want to show up in the system tray, ie volume control, fax machine, anonymizer, spy sweeper, battery backup, etc etc....
    Now the only two items that launch and show up in th system tray are ZA and Norton Antivirus.
    Any suggestions on how to get things back to normal the way I had it?
    I'd like to get things back to the way it was in my system tray.
    Thanks for any support.
    irzapper03/05/06at 2:12am PST

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

erush Guest

Default Re: ZA causing problems, Help?

I just installed Zone Alarm yesterday & I am having the same exact problem.
    The only icon that comes up for me in the system tray is the volume icon.

erush Guest

BillCherryAtl, I tried uninstalling it the way you said & after I reinstalled it, it was still doing the same thing.
    If I uncheck
    load at startup on Zone Alarm, all the icons come up properly in the system tray.
    Its only messing up when ZA loads at startup

billc Guest

That's very strange and one I've not seen before. You may need to remove Zone Alarm manually and then reinstall again. First try this. Go to your Zone Alarm Program Control > Main panel and turn off program control. Make sure you have the 'load at boot' checked for Zone Alarm then reboot and tell me what happens. I'm trying to see if Zone Alarm is blocking some program that affects this behavior. BTW, are you using the free version or a paid version?

erush Guest

I tried turning program controll off & when I restarted it was still doing the same thing.
    Something I forgot to mention earlier is a folder on my start menu called Zone.com Deluxe games came pre-installed on my computer.
    After I installed Zone Alarm, that folder would automatically open at start up every time I booted up Windows.
    I found that to be very weird.
    If I uninstall ZA, the Zone.com folder doesn't come up so I know somehow ZA is causing the folder to open.
    I tried installing ZA on my mom's laptop (its made by the same manufactuer as mine), & my desktop.
    Both of the other 2 computers worked perfect & didn't have the issues with the system tray icons not loading.
    My mom's laptop did have the Zone.com issue but uninstalling the Zone.com games fixed that.

rbergey Guest

I also have the Zone.com folder open on startup after installing Zone Alarm.

I have a new computer that has Zone.com buried deep within the driver and application disk. I have reformatted and reinstalled XP SP2 and Zone.com is installed even with the minimum applications needed to run my machine.

After installing Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite the Program Files folder contains both a Zone.com and Zone Labs folder. I speculate that when Zone Alarm starts it opens the Zone.com folder instead of starting Zone Alarm. I say this as I did not have Zone.com folder open on startup until Zone Alarm was installed. Also, Zone Alarm is not running per the definition I saw in another part of this board. The vs... program was running but the al.. (or za..) part wasn't. Sorry I don't have a full name for these two.

Any thoughts appreciated. Would renaming the Zone.com folder help? Have spent a lot of time on this and could use some other thoughts. I will try making Zone.com Zone1.com to see.

Thanks
    R Bergey

lazerhead Guest

I am having the exact same problem. I tried uninstalling with /clean and deleting the temp files and reinstalling, but the same thing is happening. Most of my icons (the ones in the bottom right) will not show up and some programs will not even work (Weather Channel's Desktop weather 4). Running XP sp2, everything is updated.

My roommate also has the same problem, he told me that if he logs out (not reboot) and then back in everything works. I tried and everything works for me as well. Easy fix, but somewhat annonying. As for the zone alarm program, the install file is zaasSetup_61_737_000_en.exe

Have you done AV scans? There are a few virus's that can cause it. Also check the Microsoft KB. Windows can do it to itself.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

billc Guest

Try another install but first uninstall Zone Alarm Pro this way. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

Now download a frsh installer and see if it is fixed.

Thread Information