Thread: Zone Alarm won't log while using Linksys router

nadsab Guest

Default Zone Alarm won't log while using Linksys router

Hi,

I run ZA all the time with just my DSL modem and the logging for blocked intrusions works just tine. However when I connect my PC to my Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router, ZA stops logging. How would I enable logging for when I have my PC connected to my router? I'm not really sure if Zone Alarm is working if it's not logging blocked attempts.

Thanks very much.

Operating System:
    Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

Message Edited by nadsab on 03-06-200604:22 AM

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm won't log while using Linksys router

Hi nadsab
    If you have in alerts&logs main event logging on and program logging high (the default) you should have logged program events normally ougoing attempts. It
    s normal you don
    t have blocked by firewall incoming attempts as the router blocks those attempts that doesn't correspond to solicitations from your comouter, which means that those packets don
    t get your computer as the router drops them.The router acts as a hardware firewall in what respects incoming attempts and ZA will act as outgoing defender.
    Best regards

theoldman Guest

I would assume that the reason ZA is no longer logging is not that it has failed but that it no longer is getting hit with intrusions. See here as to the features of the router you listed.
    http://arstechnica.com/reviews/3q00/...befsr41-1.html
    The BEFSR41 has in effect isolated your computer from the DSL modem as far as the internet intrusion you were getting before. Other than internet sharing, this is one of the best reasons for getting something like the BEFSR41.

nadsab Guest

"It
    s normal you don
    t have blocked by firewall incoming attempts as the router blocks those attempts that doesn't correspond to solicitations from your comouter..."

Thanks you Ad-Hoc and TheOldMan,

What you say makes sense after checking the linksys incoming blocked attempts log I see some blocked attempts.

What I don t understand though, if Zone Alarm used without a router blocks both outgoing attempts by programs and blocks incoming attempts many of those incoming attempts being the result of those programs sending out requests, then there should be about the same amount of incoming blocked attempts in the logs for both the the Linksys incoming log, and the Zone alarm incoming log (that is, the Zone Alarm log when the router is not used), shouldn t there?

I m confused because when I view the log for incoming blocked attempts of the linksys router it seems like there are far fewer incoming attempts blocked by the router than by Zone alarm - ZA logs when the router is not used that is.

I guess what I don t understand is what is the difference between what the router is doing and what zone alarm does whilst blocking incoming attempts? Don t they basically do the same thing? Because the router is using software to block those attempts too?

(I should say firmware, but firmware is just code loaded onto a chip as opposed to zone alarm code installed on my hard drive...)

Message Edited by nadsab on 03-06-200607:24 AM

ad_hock Guest

Hi nadsab
    For that you need to understand how the router works and what is NAT (Network Address Translation).Put briefly what happens is your router isolates your LAN computers from the internet side.The router gives private ip's to the LAN computers and those ip's are not usable or reachable from the internet side. The LAN computers contacts with the router interior ip and then this solicitations are passed to the router external ip (assigned by your ISP),and is this external ip that connects to the outside internet world. Now the router receives the solicitations from your computers and to know how to distribute the answers to those solicitations it builds a list from this requests. Then when packets are sent to the external ip of the router he compares with the list of solicitations he has.If the packets correspond to those solicitations then the router passes to the interior ip and distributes to the right computers and ports.If the packets doesn't correspond it simply drops them. That's the reason why with the NAT router you don't see incoming attempts blocked by ZA, they simply don't get to arrive there they are blocked before.To have blocked incoming intrusions by ZA it would be necessary that someone succeeds to connect to your router and that way getting your LAN. That's the reason you need to secure your connection specially in wireless.
    Best regards

nadsab Guest

If the packets correspond to those solicitations then the router passes to the interior ip and distributes to the right computers and ports.If the packets doesn't correspond it simply drops them.

Thanks Ad-Hoc,

Does the Linksys router log each and every dropped packet?

theoldman Guest

I do not have a LinkSys router like yours to test but from this article, the router must have the ability to do what you are asking. See here:
    http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/VbNetLinkSysLog.asp
    It would be assumed that the average user would not be interested in all the traffic the log would show under normal conditions, so you would have to check the documintation to see how to turn feature on. Then set it up so that information is something useful to you. You could use the tip in this article to see the intrusions and log them and then have it sent to the computer of your choice. I was doing that for awhile from my router (Netgear) but turned it off later after I saw what I wanted. You get allot of files built up if you leave it on.

ad_hock Guest

Just to add to what TheOldMan says that what matters is to check that your ZA logs doesn't show firewall blocked intrusions and you are stealthed to the most reliable scan tests in internet (for me grc.com, sygate,dslreports and ocasionally pcflank). For your information I run the G wireless Linksys WRT54G for about a year and a half in this conditions.
    Best regards to you both.

Thread Information