Thread: internet locks

citusmtairy Guest

Default internet locks

I run 6.1 version of Zone Alarm (internet lock off), Windows XP SP2, Microsoft Internet Explorer. If the computer is idle for a few minutes the internet locks (I cannot connect to the internet)If I turn Zone Alarm off I regain access to the internet. Any suggestions?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: internet locks

YES upgrade

billc Guest

Do you have your DHCP server IP in the Trusted zone?

dsdsdsdsd Guest

hello;

I have this same problem; I am using the same setup as the original poster; I do not know what a DHCP is;

However, question: would this DHCP issue cause ZA to shut off access to the internet after some period of time?

thanks

dsdsdsdsd

GT dropout

billc Guest

Yes. Your DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server is the way by which your ISP renews your IP lease. They use a protocol that is normally blocked by Zone Alarm unless the DHCP server IP is in your Trusted zone. Without that, you will be dropped because your ISP thinks you're not 'there' anymore. Here's what you should do. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

dsdsdsdsd Guest

Bill, thanks for responding;
    in the returned data list are 5 IP'sIP address

:
    aaa.aaa.a.aaasubnet mask

:
    bbb.bbb.b.bbbdefault gateway : ccc.ccc.c.cccDHCP server

: ccc.ccc.c.cccDNS server

: ddd.ddd.d.ddd
    of those 5 only
    the IP address is listed ( trusted ) in ZA, being attributed to my Linksys stuff; in ZA there is also a listing for a loopback adapter, ethernet adapter , and my other PC;
    neither the
    DNS
    or DHCP is listed in ZA;
    so I did as you said;
    thanks; I will see if it solves the problem over the next day or two
    dsdsdsdsd

bali Guest

Bill,
    I have the same problem. I checked the ipconfig /all in my laptop. It says DHCP is not enabled since i am using the wireless adapter to connect to my wireless access point..Can i add the DNS server ip to the trusted zone.Would you think IF add DNS ip to the trusted zone will solve this issue.
    Thanks and appriciate your help.

hagey Guest

Hi guys, this is my first post to this forum. I must say, I am impressed with the wealth of knowledge and sharing of valuable information, well done!

I have a question re the internet lock. I have it disabled but I lose my internet connection after a short period of inactivity.

I have tried putting my DHCP Server in the trusted Zone but this makes no difference. I have also
    given both IE and outlook 2003 permission to access the net.

To re-establish a connection I have to open the browser or email client and refresh
    the page a couple of times or manually send/receive mail a couple of times.

Its very strange as this problem only started to occur when I realised ZA had a lock feature. I used it and thought it was okay but I found it a bit of a pain as it kept locking after a short period even though I had stipulated a long period of inactivity.

as I said, I have it disabled now but alas it drops the connection. A solution to this would be great.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

Cheers

Hagey.

Thread Information