Thread: Boot-time Defrag

addr Guest

Default Boot-time Defrag

Hi,
    I was referred here by Raxco (Perfect Disc). They say that ZA is preventing their product doing a boot-time defrag and that the issue has been fixed in the latest release.
    I think I already have the latest release, 6.1.737.000,but I thought I'd check here first.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

chex Guest

Default Re: Boot-time Defrag

I have used PerfectDisk along with ZA Pro for a long time, and they get along fine with a one-time exception. There was one PD Build, around #40, before ZAP reached 5.5, when the Offline Defrag just didn't didn't work. There was a conflict at that time between the two programs, but the problem was resolved with the next build, and since then I have had zero conflicts as the PerfectDisk builds progressed and ZA upgraded.

Perhaps our set-ups are somehow different, but I am now using PerfectDisk 7, Build #46 with ZAPro 6.1.744.000, and I am having no conflicts. Which build is your PD Prgram? (go Help | About) Which version of ZA are you using? (go Overview | Product info.)

Chex

addr Guest

Thanks Chex,
    The problem is something to do with a pagefile which used to exist on Drive C but has been removed. 'Can't open C:\pagefile.sys' is part of the error message and I can't find any such file.
    I am sure it has nothing to do with ZA. Raxco didn't say which version or build of ZA caused the trouble.
    Thanks again.

ad_hock Guest

Hi addr and Chex
    I also use for a long time PerfectDisk (now version 7) and ZAPro (5.5.094) in two computers with no problems. I think the problem both of you are referring was with version 5.0 that had problems with PerfectDisk and also didn't allow CHKDSK to run.
    Best regards to you both

Thread Information