Thread: ZoneAlarm Security Suite doesn't work with rsync over ssh (cygwin)

zarko Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Security Suite doesn't work with rsync over ssh (cygwin)

Below is the message I sent to ZoneAlarm tech support. I was told that ZoneLabs doesn't support emulation programs.
    Like I said below I'm happy to do as much of the work/troubleshooting as my skills will allow.

-------------------------------------------------
    We have a licensed version of Zone Alarm Security Suite on a computer where Cygwin was recently installed. There is an incompatibility between Zone Alarm and a command that we use.

rsync -rvc -e ssh -l testusr ./testdir 192.168.111.2:/home/testusr

I have verified that the problem does not occur with Zone Alarm Pro in the following versions.
    ZoneAlarm Pro 6.1.737
    ZoneAlarm Pro 5.5.094
    ZoneAlarm Pro 5.1.033
    ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5.594
    ZoneAlarm Pro 4.0.146
    ZoneAlarm 3.7

It also works with Norton Internet Security 2006 and F-Secure Internet Security 2006.

However, Zone Alarm Security Suite versions 6.1.737, 6.0.667 and 5.5.094 cause a problem. The problem persists even when ZoneAlarm Security Suite is shut down. You have to completely uninstalit for the command to work. The reason I keep referring to the command is because it's a combination of 2 programs that work together. Rsync uses ssh to create a secure tunnel to use for the data transfer. Even if you don't have a Linux server (192.168.111.2) to troubleshoot you can run the above command and you will get an error message from ssh saying that Connection timed out . When you run the same command with Security Suite installed it doesn't even ask if I want to let ssh.exe access the network/internet. It hangs forever.

Download and unzip the programs from here ( no install needed just WinZip) into a newly created dir
    http://www.cherokee.to/downloads/cygwin_test.zip

cd into the directory and run the command above.

I will be very happy to help troubleshoot the issue with you so please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank You
    Zarko Roganovic
    Zarko{at}Cherokee{dot}to

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

lightman Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Security Suite doesn't work with rsync over ssh (cygwin)

cygwin isn't an emulation program, it compiles into native Windows executables and dlls. Any such statement that Cygwin is an emulation program is an indication of either ignorance and/or indifference. Besides, if a customer needs to run a particular program or environment, who are they to say they don't support it? Any company that doesn't put the customer first is suspect.

I've run into increasing issues with Cygwin and ZoneAlarm, the issues seem to be getting more severe with each ZoneAlarm release. Bash has serious issues and now I've found that ssh -Y/-X (secure forwarding of X) causes a forever hang (looks like xauth/xterm). As with your report, simply disabling ZoneAlarm Suite isn't sufficient, it has to be fully uninstalled. This enviroment did work with the latest version of ZoneAlarm Pro.

If the ZoneAlarm team could describe what programming behavior is causing the issue and either post it on the Cygwin mailing lists or here for us to do so, I'm sure that the Cygwin team would make adjustments. So far as I can tell, the issue seems to be process creation and how ZoneAlarm is reacting to it.

Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated. Perhaps with enough responses and thread updates, ZoneLabs might finally take notice that Cygwin is important to its customers and resolve the continuing issues rather than hiding behind the ignorate view that Cygwin is an emulator.

atbowler Guest

ZoneAlarm Suite also seem to stop some simpler Cygwin stuff
    If you run cygwin telnet, escape back to command level
    and then try to call some simple program it hangs

oliver[522]$ telnet
    + telnet
    telnet> !/bin/echo this works
    this works
    telnet> open mailhost.thinkage.ca
    Trying 192.102.11.46...
    Connected to mailhost.thinkage.ca.
    Escape character is '^]'.

Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla)
    Kernel 2.4.18-5-2003-05-15 on an i686
    login:
    telnet> !/bin/echo this hangs

I originally noticed this with our own homebrew telnet
    program (a mangled ckermit), but it fails with the stock
    cygwin telnet as well. Microsoft's telnet doesn't
    allow escaping to another program so I could not
    see if the problem was cygwin specific.

Merely shutting does ZoneAlarm is insuffucient.
    I needed to uninstall it.

billmoss Guest

Actaully, I find the problems at an even more elementary level. When the anti-spyware runs, it causes any instance of BASH (cygwin version or even the native GNU version) to use 60%+ CPU. This also happens to vim if it is running. Since all the BASH and VIM applications for native Win32 use the GNU for Windows (mingw) compiler, may be its a proglem in the runtime libraries of that application. On the other hand, I have no problems with any of the applications I compile using the mingw C and C++.

Thread Information