Thread: Where DID my systray icons go and why can I get them back if i logoff/logon?

now_frustrated Guest

Default Where DID my systray icons go and why can I get them back if i logoff/logon?

Ok, I installed Internet Security Suite.
    Upon a reboot of my system (several times) the icons which previously appeared in my systray vanished.
    I was able to get them back by logging off of my system (not rebooting) and then logging back on.
    The problem completely disappeared with a total uninstall of the security suite. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

billc Guest

Default Re: Where DID my systray icons go and why can I get them back if i logoff/logon?

I've noticed that happens with some users and a fresh install will usually fix matters. Try installing ZASS again and select a 'clean' install if you're asked.

now_frustrated Guest

Default Re: Where DID my systray icons go and why can I get them back if i logoff/logon?

Thanks for responding Bill, but I did that several times prior to posting in here. Bottom line: as soon as I uninstall ZASS, everthing is fine. As soon as I reinstall it, problem reappears.

<blockquote><hr>BillCherryAtl wrote:
    I've noticed that happens with some users and a fresh install will usually fix matters. Try installing ZASS again and select a 'clean' install if you're asked.
    <hr></blockquote>

billc Guest

Maybe ZASS is being installed back into the configuration that caused the problem in the first place. If you're willing, try one more uninstall followed by a fresh install. This time, uninstall using this method. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now try again. Any luck this time?

now_frustrated Guest

That method I had not tried but I have now. Same thing. I also made sure that all the registry entries for ZA were gone too through regedit as well as registry mechanic. I deleted the folder in program files as well. I can without hesitation say after implementing your suggestion along with making sure the registry entries and program files folder being gone, that there were no ZA files on my system prior to the last attempted install. As soon as I intalled the program again, the icons disappeared again. As soon as I delete ZA, the problem is resolved.

Maybe ZASS is being installed back into the configuration that caused the problem in the first place. If you're willing, try one more uninstall followed by a fresh install. This time, uninstall using this method. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this &quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot; /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now try again. Any luck this time?
    <hr></blockquote>

billc Guest

I must admit, I'm puzzled. With ZASS installed, can you still log off your system then back on again and the icons are present? If you uncheck your 'load at boot' option in ZASS, reboot, are they present then and if so, do they remain when you launch ZASS?

now_frustrated Guest

First Bill, I really appreciate the time you are taking to respond to this problem. Now on to your questions: Yes, with ZASS installed, on initial boot-up -- the icons are gone. If I wait a couple minutes, I can log off (not restart) and then log back in with same user (only 1 - lol - can't mess that up) -- the icons reappear normally. As far as the &quot;load at boot option&quot;, again I went through that whole process before I ever came to this forum for help. If I stop it from auto-loading, I still do not get the icons unless I do logoff/logon. MY INTERPRETATION IF THIS HELPS YOU: It is as if even though ZASS is not loading on startup -- even the presence of the software on the system is causing the problem. Best way i can describe it.

Again, thank you for your time. It has been frustrating for me as I spend a lot of time helping others through computer problems as well. As I said before, I tried many avenues before even posting in here.

I must admit, I'm puzzled. With ZASS installed, can you still log off your system then back on again and the icons are present? If you uncheck your 'load at boot' option in ZASS, reboot, are they present then and if so, do they remain when you launch ZASS?
    <hr></blockquote>

gwolfkill Guest

I know many pepole who have this same problem i do as well and it is very frustrating. i just updated (Clean) to the latest and it did not go away.

Thread Information