Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-climax, after waiting so long for 64-bit Zone Alarm :(

fwguru Guest

Default Anti-climax, after waiting so long for 64-bit Zone Alarm :(

Installed the 64-bit beta on my system to find it managed to "break" my connectivity with the Internet (gotta admit, that's ultimately secure though ).

Of the 4 NICs on my system, 3 were visible as zones in Zone Alarm - 2 VMWare virtual adapters and 1 for my internal network - the other (Internet-facing) just didn't appear.

Windows reported both physical NICs connected at 1Gbps as normal, but no TCP/IP settings on the Internet-facing one, and it failed to repair because of this - even though TCP/IP is bound to the adapter.

Neither Zone Alarm or Windows reported any problem with the firewall.

Had to remove Zone Alarm to get connectivity back

Anyone installed the beta on an Asus A8N-SLI Premium and used the Yukon onboard gigabit NIC okay?

unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: Anti-climax, after waiting so long for 64-bit Zone Alarm :(

The current ZA x64 version is not really in the main beta stages yet. What you have is just a preview version as explained by this paragraph in the beta page:
    -------------------------
    "Below is a link to a special preview version of the upcoming ZoneAlarm (free version) with 64-bit compatibility. This is for advanced technical testers only, and it will only install if you are running a 64-bit computing system with a full and current version of Windows XP Pro 64. If you are running the 32-bit Windows XP on a 64-bit machine, this preview version will not install. Do not attempt to run this version on any platform other than Windows XP Pro 64.

As this is an early preview version of the program, it may cause instability of your system or other technical issues."
    -------------------------

If you can isolate or narrow to the source of the problem, please ensure you pass your feedback back to Zone Labs using the beta feedback page:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/betafeedback

Message Edited by unhappy_viewer on 02-19-200610:29 PM

fwguru Guest

That was my first action - tested some basic troubleshooting steps, verified that only removing ZA resolved the issue without any further action required, then posted my repro steps on their beta feedback form.

I posted here as they don't guarantee feedback and I was interested to know if anyone else has encounted the same problem as me on the same hardware.

Yukon interface doesn't even have jumbo frames enabled which the nVidia one does, which I expected to be the likeliest thing to cause a problem.

Biggest pain is that there isn't any error for me to follow up, or I could have a go at resolving it myself.

Would be nice if they set up a peer forum for the beta, I guess all I can do now is wait for the next build and see if they come back to me with questions or actions they want me to follow.

I guess I'll install it on my other XP x64 system in the meantime and see how that copes...

fwguru Guest

Well that flopped too...

Second system got stuck in a reboot cycle during startup (failed to initialize session manager), and when I managed to eventually get in I had exactly the same symptoms as on my main system.

Same OS (XP x64) & AV (Avast! 4.6)
    Different motherboard & chipset (nForce4 vs whatever is on the HP box)
    Different CPU (socket 939 3700+ vs socket 754 3400+)
    Different disk controller (SATA RAID0 vs PATA single disk)
    Different graphics adapter (nVidia 7800GT PCI-e vs ATI x800 AGP)
    Different NIC (Yukon onboard vs NetGear PCI)
    Different TCP/IP setup (DHCP public IP vs static private IP)

Looks like there is a bit of work to do yet
    (Yes, this has also been fed back to Zonelabs via the beta form.)

unhappy_viewer Guest

Though ZL does not always reply to every feedback, I am sure they apprciate it. Past betas have always shown ZL trying to correct the most frequently encountered problems as soon as possible. People's contributions to the beta helps to determine whether the final release is bug-free or not since Zone Labs cannot simulate the mllions of different computer configurations worldwide. So submit those feedback on problem encountered no matter how small the problem may appear.

Message Edited by unhappy_viewer on 02-20-200610:49 AM

bpfloyd Guest

Ok I just installed ZAP beta 6.5.588.000 on a AN8-SLI Premium.
    I am using the nVidia lan because the Marvell Yukon has never worked for me from day one, so I cannot help you there.
    I have lost connectivity and have major hangs which I have to hit the reset button because of a conflict with Avast anti-virus. If I shut Avast down I get my connection back, but it is sluggish.

Anybody have anti-virus suggestions ? I
    cannot use
    my new
    ZA Internet Security Suite 2006 anti-virus with win64 or Avast. I need some protection.

I found
    this open
    beta forum link below but I cannot start a new thread, the new message button is not working. This would be the place we need to go to get these bugs worked out.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...rd.id=OpenBeta

Message Edited by BPFLOYD on 02-20-200611:38 PM

unhappy_viewer Guest

The Open Beta forum is currently closed. It will probably remain that way due to the small number of testers for the x64 version. Its much easier to communicate any bugs to ZL directly even if someone else has already submitted them.

As for the incompatibility with Avast, you probably want to get in touch directly with Zone Labs regarding this matter. Additionally you should check with Avast too about this. The Avast forums can be found here:
    http://forum.avast.com/

I however can only suggest one solution to the incompatibility. If the Avast x64 version is anything like its x86 counterpart, it would have a "Network Shield" module. You should switch that off as it acts as a partial firewall and can therefore conflict with ZA. Thats probably why you don't get good connections. Hopefully that helps.

bpfloyd Guest

Well I finally found the Avast fix, I had to edit the ini file to this, ZoneAlarmCompatibility=1Why does ZA check for an update every 15 minutes ???They need to add a box to check once a day or like the Windows Automatic Update selection.

bpfloyd Guest

This is more like an Alpha version...No connection at startup, I get the network cable is unplugged.If I shut down ZA I get my connection back.BSOD with the same Fatal System Error at least 2 times a day after hard lockups.Guess I should send in another feedback form.

Have you tried repairing your Winsock? Use winsockxpfix from www.majorgeeks.com
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information