Thread: trying to install license key - having problems

berri Guest

Default trying to install license key - having problems

I renewed my license key the other day. I am having problems getting it on the program.
    I go into overview, product info, and go to change license and put it in upper and lower caps and the
    old license key is still there afterwards. Nothing changes

I tried what was suggested here: start/run use browse buttong to the directory where Zone Alarm Pro is
    installed for example c:\Progam Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm and go to the file zauinst.exe and double
    click it. The run dialog will now containa string similar to this. "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone
    Alarm\zaunist.exe".
    The add a space and the switch /rmlicense to the end of the string after the closing quotes.

What happens when I do the above, is I get the uninstall program. I do not want to uninstall my
    program. All I want to do is put the new license key in the box and have it work.

My program is version 4.5.594.000 and my operating system is windows XP pro version 1 2002.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:4.x

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: trying to install license key - having problems

Hi berri,

PLEASE follow these "EXACT INSTRUCTIONS".

Zone Labs Customer Care

This Information Applies to:

All premium ZoneAlarm Products

Summary:

My license key doesn't work in ZoneAlarm.

Solution:

You can install the license key from the Overview Panel by clicking on the Product Info Tab, clicking on the Change Lic. key button. Be sure to COPY the entire license key, and then PASTE into just the first field - it will automatically expand to fill all fields. Click at the end of the letters of the first field, and then backspace until all the letters are gone, and then PASTE. Click on the "Apply" button, and you should get a dialog indicating the key was updated successfully.

If you have recently installed ZA, you can do this from the "I Already Own It" box from the white trial screen when it shows up on boot. Again, simply COPY the entire key, and then PASTE it into just the first field.

If you purchased ZoneAlarm Pro as part of a Linksys bundle:

The Linksys firmware and ZAP must both be upgraded to support gateway enforcement.

The license key received with the bundle has to go into the Linksys administration screen (under the "Security" tab). These license keys are NOT available through our online database; you will need to go to the original purchase site (either through Digital River, or your ZoneAlarm Pro sales representative) to have it re-sent.

If you purchased any ZAP licenses separately from the Linksys bundle (standalone, or as part of a bundle with another software), enter this key in ZAP (this is totally separate from Linksys licensing).

If you have changed the original MAC address that the router was using when you purchased the bundle, then ZoneAlarm Pro will block the connection with the router if cooperative enforcement has been enabled. So if your ISP requires a specific MAC address from your router, then this feature is currently incompatible with cooperative gateway enforcement.

Emergency
    : If you are unable to get the setup to work properly, you can simply Uncheck the box to enforce the Gateway on the Linksys, and on ZAP.

There is more configuration information at http://linksys.zonelabs.com

If you purchased ZoneAlarm as part of a software bundle from a vendor other than Linksys, Broderbund (The Learning Company), or PromiseMark:

Verify that the license key that you are copying and pasting into the first field is a valid ZoneAlarm Pro / Plus key (the ZAP license key is a set of 5 groups of letters and numbers. The first 3 groups contain 5 characters each, and the last 2 groups contain 6 characters each. Any license key that has sets of 4 capital letters is not a valid license key.

For example: Both AdSubtract and Pc-Cillin use a license key that looks very similar to your ZoneAlarm key. You won't be able to insert these keys to license your copy of ZoneAlarm. ReleaseNow confirmations may list a serial number, which may have been referred to as a "license key" on some e-mails. This is not a valid ZoneAlarm Pro license key.

To confirm the license key you are copying and pasting into the first field is correct, click Overview > Product Info > Change Lic. Your expiration date and time will appear directly underneath the license number.

I put my new license key in, but the old one comes back!

If you have a new or renewal license key, and it is accepted when you enter the key, but the old key comes back, then you may have an illegal license on your system. If you or someone else downloaded your ZA product from an unauthorized site, or purchased from an unauthorized vendor, you may have received (and installed) an illegal copy of the product. As an example, if you purchased the product used, or from an online auction site, it may not be a legitimate copy.

If you now have a valid license key purchased via the Zone Labs web site (remember that the original illegal key will no longer work in our products!), then do the following:

Go to Start / Run

Use the Browse button to navigate to the directory where ZoneAlarm Pro is installed, for example C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm.

Find the file named "zauninst.exe" and double-click it. The Run dialog will now contain a string similar to this: "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe".

Add a space and the switch /rmlicense to the end of the string after the closing quotes so that the string now looks like this: "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /rmlicense

Click OK

Reboot the PC. When the system restarts, ZA should come up in Trial Mode. Enter your new license key at the startup screen.

Hope this info has helped you, if not PLEASE post back.

SlyFox:8}
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

berri Guest

What you suggested did NOT work for me. I tried pasting it into the place where it should go - change
    license and it says accepts it but does not change it.

I tried the other stuff also, what was at the bottom of your message and the program tried to uninstall.

I do not want to uninstall this program. Would that be the only option to uninstall and reinstall the program??? I do not want to install the latest version of zone alarm pro, I want to keep this version
    that I have.

There has to be another option than to uninstall and reinstall...Anybody help me???

Thanks.

berri

Message Edited by berri on 04-04-200612:03 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

berri Guest

<blockquote><hr>berri wrote:
    What you suggested did NOT work for me. I tried pasting it into the place where it should go - change
    license and it says accepts it but does not change it.

I tried the other stuff also, what was at the bottom of your message and the program tried to uninstall.

I do not want to uninstall this program. Would that be the only option to uninstall and reinstall the program??? I do not want to install the latest version of zone alarm pro, I want to keep this version
    that I have.

There has to be another option than to uninstall and reinstall...Anybody help me?
    ??

Thanks.

berri

Message Edited by berri on 04-04-200612:03 AM

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro

<hr></blockquote>

I uninstalled and reinstalled zone alarm pro and put in the license key, but it did not install it. Now I have a trial period version for 30 days.

Do I need another license key?

If I need one, where do I get it, from customer service?

Please help me.
    Thanks

berri

billc Guest

When you use the switch /rmlicense, you should get the trial version but you also should be able to install your key. I assume you got your renewal key from Zone Labs? If you have not done this, try to copy & paste your key in instead of typing it. Also, before you paste it in, put your cursor over the space where the key goes, click on your mouse, and then hit the 'backspace' key a couple times then paste the key in.

berri Guest

Default Re: trying to install license key - having problems still

I have tried to paste the key in the program but it still does not change the license key.
    It says I have only a few days left to the program.

Do I need a new license key specifically for the version 4.5? I do not want a trial version of
    any kind.

Please advise.

Thanks.

berri Guest

Does anybody know the answer to my question?

Do I need another license key for the version 4.5 because the new key is not working.

Thanks.

berri Guest

I found the answer by calling customer service. There are two different keys for versions 6.1 and
    versions 5.5 and lower. I knew I was right about this and that is why I was having problems using
    a key for version 6.1 when I had version 4.5.

I hope this will help someone else.

cj_robinson Guest

I have EXACTLY the same problem.

I've used ZA for a year, got my nag screen to update and get another license. I have done this and paid my money. Now I have a license key that does not work. I have followed all of the instructions posted and NONE of them work. If you use the /rmlicense fix, it removes all of ZA. Then when you reinstall, your license STILL does not work and now I have a 15 day trial - at the end of this I will have no firewall.

I have paid for my original version and my support upgrade and now I have nothing to show for it.

Zone Labs - you must acknowledge this problem now - there must be thousands of people with the same problem. I have paid money to upgrade my support and now I cannot use the software at all. If you cannot supply a fix themn you must refund us so that we can purchase a firewall from another vendor - please help us asap.

cj_robinson Guest

Okay - an answer for all you fellow sufferers. This worked for me - good luck since Zone Labs have done NOTHING to help me out (or anybody else in this thread).

I originally downloaded v5.5 as a trial, then paid for official support. During my year of support I have received upgrades right up to v6.1.744. I have found that on XP, v5.5 actually behaved the best and I often reinstalled this after finding that an upgrade made things worse. I allowed my subscription to expire, foolishly thinking that I could sort this out later. I purcahsed a new license key but no matter what I did, the old one could not be changed.

I have tried all of the /rmlicense fixes, which just caused me more problems, and I tried deleting the zllictbl.dat file, again with no luck. Whatever I did, the new license key would not apply and ZA kept reverting back to the old key.

This is what I have done to fix it. Note I'm running XP.

1. In ZA preferences, uncheck the auto-start when windows starts.
    2. Reboot your PC. No ZA processes should be running in the task list.
    3. from the Run menu - &quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot; /rmlicense /clean. Note that you will be asked if you want to delete &quot;TrueVector software&quot; - yes you do.
    4. Run regedit, go to HKLM/software. Highlight &quot;Zone Labs&quot; and hit the delete key.
    5. Search your whole machine for zllictbl.dat (this has your old key in it) - delete it if you find one. but you shouldn't find one.
    6. Now, install the latest upgrade you have received from ZLabs - NOT the original one that you downloaded and then paid for - if I do this I end up stuck with a 15 day trial and the new key won't work again. I had 6.1.744 as my latest full upgrade so I used that.
    7. When the first ZA screen comes up, pick the &quot;I already own it&quot; option and PASTE in your key. Place your cursor in the first field after copying the key from clipboard and paste. Note that ZA changes your pasted key to lower case - this does NOT matter.
    8. You'll here a satisfying disk buzz as the zllictbl.dat file with your new key is written to disk.
    9. Select all the defaults that setup offers you and allow it to reboot.
    10. ZA should not suto-start, start it manually and continue with setup (new networks etc).

Bingo - that should do it. If not, continue to complain in these forums - it is outrageous how little help Zlabs are giving. Next year I'm buying a new firewall and removing Zone Alarm in protest.

one exception - thanks to the Aussies who have made more effort. I found this site useful :-

http://www.securetec.com.au/faq/default.asp?faq=8#81

Good luck.

Thread Information