Thread: Conflict with PC Trend anti virus

kismetkat Guest

Default Conflict with PC Trend anti virus

I recently networked my old (win 98) computer with my new (XP) computer so that both could access the internet.
    I downloaded free zone alarm to the older computer and when it came to installing (an old version of PC trend was still on the computer) it said there was a 'conflict' with pc trend and could not install until PC Trend was deleted.
    I duly deleted PC trend.
    But why the conflict? I have PC trend on the new computer and zone alarm is NO problem.
    Why did I need to uninstall?
    And since then, on the old computer (and email is disabled, and it has only visited known safe sites - ie barely used online) the computer has gotten very slow, the 'turbo' light is not lit, and basically it is being far more of a boat anchor than it ever was.
    Advice appreciated - a previous post about this went unanswered

Operating System:Windows ME
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

Default Re: Conflict with PC Trend anti virus

Hi KismetKat! Trend Micro as well as Nortons, Kaspersky and many other Antivirus Applications have a " Worm Guard" or also named a "Intrusion Guard" embedded in them. For some it is easy to turn this option off, while others there is no option available. Some will cause no conflict with ZA while others will have a problem. Perhaps installing the ZA first and then installing the Trend Micro will get around the issue, but remember the ZA firewall will perform better without the Trend guard ( or "mini firewall&quot as well as outperform the Trend"s guard. Check to see if there is an options in the install of Trend Micro to "not install" the guard or in the "advanced install" options. Have a look in the Trend and look for something like ID or Network or Web guard and just disable it. Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

kismetkat Guest

Oldsod - what I don't understand is that I installed ZA after PC Trend on the new computer - and had no problem.
    Why then the dialogue box on the old computer (with a much older version of PC trend) insisiting I uninstall PC trend before ZA could instal?

And as my old computer is suddenly now so slow (and email is disabled and IE has only been to a few trusted sites), I do worry that some sort of virus has infected it.

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/suppo...ntID=en-117018 (address for manual uninstall of TM) KismetKat Was the Trend Micro just an antivirus or the Internet security Suite? The Trend Micro Internet HAS a firewall likely giving the alert for "firewall" already present. Different versions of Trend or different builds of Trend betwwen the two pc's? Just make sure you have an antivirus on your pc's and update and scan with them. Try ot use a site scan from Trend Micro or Kaspersky or McAfee or Bitdefender to get a good second opinion and possible cleaning.. Anyone of these will verify the security status of the pc in regards to virus and such. If there are two firewalls installed on the pc, there will be conflict, and a slow or limited internet can be the result. Older pc is not Windows XP, but an earlier verion? Could also be the difference. Perhaps the uninstall for the Trend Micro on the older pc was not complete and there is enough registry or files around to still cause the problem? Maybe needs an extra regisrty clean up? Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-10-200608:04 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information