Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneLabs causes BSOD with Acronis True Image 9.x

biznotch Guest

Default ZoneLabs causes BSOD with Acronis True Image 9.x

So I've been using both ZoneAlarm Suite 6 and Acronis 9 for some time now. After a number of months of being lazy with my backing up, I've purchased a new computer and installed fresh copies of both apps (lastest versions). What's happening is that whenever I do a full disk image backup (say, from my C drive to my D drive), if ZoneAlarm Suite 6.1 is running, it causes a blue screen EVERY time, at the end of the backup.

I tested this a few different times, but can now say with certainty that when ZoneAlarm is on, I get a BSOD. When it's off, no BSOD. Once I saw the error was in vsdatant.sys, but other times, I didn't see this and the computer just rebooted.

I'm not sure what may have changed with recent versions of ZoneAlarm, but this is a huge problem for me and the only way to effectively backup my computer is to shutdown ZoneAlarm before running the backup.

I'm going to post a similar message on the Acronis forums to see if it's something that can be rectified on that end.

At this point, it seems like the problem is with ZA, since when it's off, there's no BSOD.

Has anyone out there who has both Acronis True Image 9 (workstation) and the latest ZoneAlarm suite encountered this issue?

Not sure what I can do except to fix this (except the above workaround of shutting ZA down).

!!!

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Message Edited by biznotch on 04-17-200607:48 PM

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: ZoneLabs causes BSOD with Acronis True Image 9.x

Hi biznotch,

Zone Labs Customer Care

This Information Applies to:
    All ZoneAlarm Products

Summary:

I am getting a Blue Screen (BSOD) on my system with ZoneAlarm running.

Solution:

IMPORTANT - VERIFY THESE FIRST

Verify that you have only

- Windows 98 Second Edition, 2000 Pro, XP Home/Pro, or ME/Millennium
    - the very latest version of your ZoneAlarm product
    - the very latest drivers for all add-on hardware for your system
    - the very latest video drivers for your graphics card
    - ONE software firewall running (running multiple software firewalls is not supported)
    - the original Winsock file (search for WSOCK32.DLL, right-click and get Properties -> version)

If ALL of the above conditions have been met, and you still experience the BSODs, please contact us by sending an email to Submit_ Info@zonelabs.com . Be sure to include the ALL of the following or your request will be deleted:

- Is the BSOD reproducible? Include step by step instructions for reproducing it.

- Do you get any specific error message or STOP code?

- Did anything change right before the BSODs began?

- What is your Operating System? Is it fully patched and updated?

- Include your product name, and all of the version information given on Overview -> Product Info.

**DO NOT SEND ANY FILES TO THIS ADDRESS**

**THIS IS NOT A TECH SUPPORT ADDRESS, IT IS FOR BSODs ONLY!**

SlyFox:8}
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. biznotch Guest

I submitted my information to the email address you provided. Here also is the info:

-Is the BSOD reproducible? Include step by step instructions for reproducing it.
    Yes. I can reproduce this every time. I have Acronis True Image 9.1 and what I am doing is backing up my primary hard disk (C) to my secondary hard disk (D). I am doing a full backup (image of the entire partition) at normal compression levels and when it gets near the end of the backup, I get a BSOD. When ZoneAlarm is shutdown, this NEVER happens.

- Do you get any specific error message or STOP code?
    Sometimes I see a blue screen that says PAGE_FAULT_IN_UNPAGED_AREA. Also, occasionally I will see an error related to nvdatant.sys. Other times, the machine will simply reboot without a blue screen.

- Did anything change right before the BSODs began?
    No.

- What is your Operating System? Is it fully patched and updated?
    Fully patched and updated Windows XP with SP2.

- Include your product name, and all of the version information given on Overview -> Product Info.
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.1.744.001
    True Vector 6.1.744.001
    Driver Version 6.1.744.001

Hi biznotch,

Perhaps the following may or may not solve your problem, PLEASE try updating your Root Certificates.
    Here is the link and PLEASE keep me posted on your results, Thanks.
    BTW, do you have the
    Cisco VPN client installed?

Open Your browser and navigate to the following URL.
    Once at the web page follow the directions to reset your root certificates.
    https://getca.verisign.com/

SlyFox:8}

5. biznotch Guest

I'll try with the root certificate thing but I'm fairly certain I don't need this. FYI, I am not using CISCO VPN.

biznotch Guest

Tried the root certificate update but apparently I already had the latest... other suggestions? It seems to me like this could be a problem with the nvdatant.sys file...

Hi biznotch,

Perhaps the following thread may or may not solve your problem, if not PLEASE post back, Thanks.

New Microsoft Update Leads to IRQL_NOT_GREATER_OR_LESS_THAN Message and Blue Screen of Death - 2006-04-18 12:22:08-04
    Got an IRQL_NOT_GREATER_OR_LESS_THAN error? Plagued by Stop 0x0000000A (0xFFFFFFE8, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804DA07F) and a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)? Read on...
    http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/new...creen-of-death

SlyFox:0

8. biznotch Guest

Slyfox,

This isn't very helpful since it does not describe which MS patch causes this. Further, this is not the message that I saw on my BSOD. And also, let me again point out that I only get the BSOD when ZoneAlarm is on while I am doing my backup with Acronis. If it's shutdown, I do not get the BSOD. To me, that means an issue with ZoneAlarm--- which is why I'm posting this...

fwguru Guest

Is there a "Save Dump" event in the system event log?
    If so, post the contents here so we can see the summary of the BSOD.

If your system is configured correctly you should have a kernel memory dump in %systemroot%\MEMORY.DMP with the contents of the kernel space when the last BSOD occurred - is it there, and how big is it?

biznotch Guest

I have my system configured to NOT save a full memory dump (since I have 2GB of RAM -- it sits there forever if I have this option on). Instead, I do a mini-dump and so I have my minidump files saved. I already downloaded the debugger tools for windows in an attempt to analyze these minidump files and I have seen on some of them nvdatant.sys -- which is why I indicated this could be the problem...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information