Thread: ZAPro seems to change it's mind........

kalkriese Guest

Default ZAPro seems to change it's mind........

Ok... Ever since I started running Win2K Pro, I've been having a heck of a time getting ZAPro to remain happy... I will set program permissions in "Program Control", most of which are set to "Block" from Internet Access across to include E-Mail, except of course for the ones that need Server Rights or E-Mail access. Then, say, when I install a new program and I go to edit permissions if necessary, I find that almost all of the ones that have been previously set to block have reverted somehow to "Ask", BUT, even so, very few of them actually "Ask", so I really don't have an idea of just what is happening. I run a pretty clean machine as it is checked for Virus and/or Adware activity regularly.

I have a couple questions as well.... One being, when you remove a program from the "Program Control" section, just what happens to it... is it perpetually blocked or supposed to Ask on a per case basis (Unless I place a check in the box, then it should take the decision as final I figure).... And my 2nd question being, is there a good site that may list suggested settings for the varied services that are running within Win2K ??? Like what actually requires access to the Trusted or Internet zones. I'm sure that very few need server rights at all and deny virtually all as such like previously mentioned.

I apologize for thist post getting so ponderous, but I really don't KNOW !!! Lol... I really appreciate any ideas anyone may have, I'm kinda flippin' out here !! The system, etc. is listed as follows: Intel SE440BX-2 running @ 600 MHz, Win2K Pro/SP4 and the SP Rollup, Inet connection via DSL Modem with NAT onboard, No Proxies, No in-house network (this is the only PC in the place). ZAPro, Kaspersky AV, Ad-Aware SE for scans, Spybot S&D and the Spyware utility that ZAPro provides too.

I've learned quite a bit from the good folks that help here, and hope that time may come when I can return the favor !!! Thanks ahead of time once again folks !!!

Kalkriese
    Wyoming, USA

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

billc Guest

Default Re: ZAPro seems to change it's mind........

If your settings are being changed randomly by Zone Alarm Pro, then your database is corrupt and needs to be reset as I'll outline below. What happens to a program you remove from your Program control. Nothing really. It will be added back the next time you use it with a 'ask' request. Programs are added to the list the first time they are run whether they request 'access' or not. And unfortunately I don't know of a good site with suggested settings. My view would be to put the ask question mark by all programs except your browser, e-mail client, AV program, and those you 'know' you wish to grant access. Let the rest ask; it will give you a feeling of control.

<fieldset>
    <legend>Database Reset</legend>Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.
    </fieldset>

Thread Information