Thread: open ports/stealth ports

einchnt Guest

Default open ports/stealth ports

Why, when using
    ZA formerly
    were all my ports blocked and in stealth mode (according to Gibson's shields up)
    and now with a new machine with either the xp it came with or other xp home, half my ports are stealth, half are just blocked
    and 80 is wide open??
    How the heck do I, or can I, close it and make all my ports stealthy without buying the premium ZA product which, every time I try it, it
    makes gobbldy-**bleep** out of one thing or another?!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: open ports/stealth ports

Reasons for failing the GRC test; some software or application has been given server rights. Port 80 is the http port but is used by other application (when 2 or more applications are using the same port there will be a loss of some control to that port by the firewall), a new router or the addition of a router, a new modem. programs such as P2P are running at the same time, IM's are on at the same time and unneccessary Services are enabled. Do you think you could actually list these ports that are in question? Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

einchnt Guest

First,

thanks for the feedback.

But I don't have any p2p programs or ims.
    No new routers, or modems.
    So I guess my only alternative is to format, add one program at a time and run the grc test on each to see what the culprit is.
    Also, should'nt all my other ports be stealthy if my settings are on high and they're not being accessed by multiple programs?

Thanks

Should show true stealth at the high setting. Instead of formatting, why not take the time to explorer the grc.com site and read about the port information that he has available. Perhaps closing all ports except the ones required and then test It may be easier. I hope there was no router or any NAT in front of the pc- the grc test is always testing the first and never the actual pc. Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information