Thread: why does inbound protection ALWAYS read "0 attempts blocked"?

dirres1 Guest

Default why does inbound protection ALWAYS read "0 attempts blocked"?

Upon reinstallation of my operating system (Windows XP) after I replaced my faulty hard drive, Zone Alarm now always says that
    it has blocked 0 inbound attempts to access my computer.

Before my old hard drive died, Zone Alarm
    had blocked thousands and thousands of inbound attempts.
    I'm pretty certain that ZA is configured correctly - or at least the same as it was previously (which is to say configured based upon its
    installation default settings).
    The only difference I know of when I reinstalled my operating system and software is that I upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2
    from Service Pack 1, previously.
    I'm also using AOL Security Edition as opposed to their prior version, but it doesn't seem to contain a firewall by default, unless I choose to download it separately.
    Is my Zone Alarm working correctly if it says it's has "blocked 0 inbound access attempts"?
    FYI, ZA has blocked a few dozen "outbound attempts", so it seems to be running.
    Thanks,John

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:

chex Guest

Default Re: why does inbound protection ALWAYS read "0 attempts blocked"?

Did you start using a router?

dirres1 Guest

No, I do not use a router.

billc Guest

I noticed you mentioned the only change was to AOL 9.0 Security Edition. Did you know that includes a firewall? According to AOL's web site :<hr> Personal Firewall Express: To help members with a high-speed connection better protect their PC and personal information from hackers, Personal Firewall Express places a security barrier between the Internet and their computer. When someone tries to probe or attack their computer, members will receive a detailed report with clear follow-up options. <hr>I don't know if this is 'automatic' or 'optional', but that would explain the "0" intrusion attempts.

dirres1 Guest

Thanks for your comment, Bill.
    I had looked into that and it seems that AOL's firewall is an optional install, which I did not choose.
    Additionally, I have encountered no firewall reports from AOL so I'm pretty sure it is NOT installed.
    And, if it were, I would need to grant permission for it to access the Internet for updates, which I have not.

Good thought, though, and I thank you for your response.
    I'll just have to keep searching for an answer.

By the way, I'm writing this from my office computer which tells me that ZoneAlarm has blocked 16,321 inbound attempts since its installation a year ago.
    Something is clearly wrong or &quot;different&quot; at home where this reads &quot;0&quot; blocked!

Thanks,

John

billc Guest

Another possibility is that the AOL service you know have uses a modem that does NAT. Do you know if that is true?

dirres1 Guest

Bill wrote: &lt;&lt;Another possibility is that the AOL service you know have uses a modem that does NAT. Do you know if that is true? &gt;&gt;
    I really have no idea about this, as I've never heard of it before.
    I am on a Verizon DSL line, with a Wesdtell 6100 modem, if that means anything.
    My office computer (where ZA has blocked 16K+ attempts)
    is also on DSL, but from another provider.
    Wish I understood more about this!
    Thanks for your help,John

Message Edited by dirres1 on 05-05-200607:56 PM

billc Guest

That's the answer. The Westell 2100/2200/6100s supplied by BellSouth (and other ISP's) are also routers that means they do NAT (Network Address Translation) which in turns means they act as a firewall for incoming connection attempts. Not all routers do this but the Westell 6100 does. That's why your not seeing incoming blocking logs.

dirres1 Guest

Bill wrorte: &gt;&gt;That's the answer. The Westell 2100/2200/6100s supplied by BellSouth (and other ISP's) are also routers that means they do NAT (Network Address Translation) which in turns means they act as a firewall for incoming connection attempts. Not all routers do this but the Westell 6100 does. That's why your not seeing incoming blocking logs. &lt;&lt;

That's brilliant, Bill!

Thanks a thousand-fold.
    It was really bothering me to think that my computer was vulnerable to attack.

Glad you're here on this board to help neophytes like me.

Best Regards,

John

Thread Information