Thread: Zone Alarm Free Slows Downloads

sith_hmp Guest

Default Zone Alarm Free Slows Downloads

Well it's just like the title says. I install Zone Alarm and my download speeds are cut in half. If I do a clean uninstall my speeds return to normal. Unfortunately this leaves me using a Linksys BEFSR41 router and Windows Firewall. While this may be adequate for some, I really prefer the outbound protection given by Zone Alarm. I searched through 53 pages of the "Access" forum , but could not find anything related to speed issues per se. The closest I found were issues with dropped connectivity. I can connect to all programs and websites with ZA installed. The only problem I am having is the speeds are effectively cut in half with ZAF installed. I am using Windos XP Home SP2 with all updates and patches. As stated before, I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router. I have AVG as and AV. Spybot, Spywareguard, Windows AnitSpyware, Adaware, and Ewido all installed as well. Please if anyone has had experience with this issue let me know. I would really like to go back to the security of ZA, but I can not afford to give up 2MB out of a 4MB connection to do so. I have used ZA in the past with little to no issues. It seems that in the last 3 months the problem started. It took me a while to figure out the ZA was causing the problem. Any help and guidance will be much appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

cm64 Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Free Slows Downloads

Hi This issue was raised some time ago with no satisfactory answer. I think ver 4.5 was OK, no speed reduction. Ver 5.5 seem to affect some connections with some users reporting a big drop in ADSL speed. A few users of ver 6.x have reported the problem. Maybe try ver 4.5 or 5.5, they are old versions but rock solid & see if you get any reduction. Otherwise a different firewall may be the answer.

Thread Information