Thread: Email attachments

jones Guest

Default Email attachments

Why does sending an email with an attachment take so much longer than receiving one? I received an email with a mp3 attachment and it didn't take any time at all. But, I turned around and sent one back with the same attachment at it took forever. Why? What is the difference and what can I do about it? I'm not talking about just 2 or 3 minutes difference, I'm talking about more 20 or more. Is there something I can change that will help this? I receive and send email with pictures, etc. and it's always this way. Thanks for your time.

billc Guest

Default Re: Email attachments

It turns out that your upload speed is a lot slower than your download speed by a factor of 5 to 10 times. The behavior you are seeing sounds 'normal' to me and there is little I know you can do to improve on it. You could of course shut down an application that scans your outgoing mail like an AV program and that might help some, but not much. What I do these days is upload any file I wish to share with others...video, pictures, music, etc....to a server then give those I wish to see or get the file a link to do so from the server rather than sending them via e-mail. Just a thought.

raram Guest

I have the same problem.

Is there a solution?

Raram

ai_tak Guest

If you don't like how your ISP limits your upload speed, complain to them. My upload speed is about 384 kilobits per seconddownload speed is about 6 megabits per second, that's a 16 to 1 ratio! Surprisingly dsl seems to have better upload speed that cable most of the time.

Thread Information