Thread: Computer Re-boots when I turn printer off

docg Guest

Default Computer Re-boots when I turn printer off

I just upgraded to Zone Alarm version 6.1.744.001 from an older version of Zone Alarm. Still running in the trial period.

If I turn the printer off with Zone Alarm running, the computer re-boots. If I disable Zone Alarm and then turn the printer off the computer does not re-boot.

Didn't have this problem with the old version of Zone Alarm.

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Doc G

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Computer Re-boots when I turn printer off

Your system is rebooting because of a conflict between Zone Alarm and your print drivers. This conflict could be caused by a problem in your update. You can try a 'clean' uninstall of Zone Alarm followed by a fresh install to see if that will cure the problem. Here is how you do a 'clean' uninstall. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

If that did not help, then check with the vendor of your printer to see if a driver update is available.

docg Guest

Thanks for the reply Bill. I followed your instructions as well as updating the print driver but the re-boot problem is still there.

I'm going to use a restore point and revert back to version 5.5 and see what happens.

Doc G

fwguru Guest

Printer drivers are loaded into user mode memory space under the spooler service.
    Bluescreens only occur from unhandled exceptions in kernel mode.

After NT 4.0, printer drivers are no longer kernel mode drivers, so the worst that should happen from a faulty printer driver is a crashed or hung spooler service.

What I suspect is that it is a PnP dirty "device disconnect" which is being mishandled.
    (i.e. the device is turned off and the USB port drivers raise an event to say "oi, this thing just vanished without saying goodbye&quot

1. Does the problem occur if you use the system tray icon to "safely remove hardware" to disconnect the printer before powering off?

2. Check for updates to your motherboard chipset drivers, in particular USB drivers.

The fact that ZA was updated might just uncover a bug in the USB drivers due to a difference in how the modules are loaded into memory.

docg Guest

Thanks for your replies. I've got it up and running now although it's version 5.5 and not 6.1. Here's a rundown on what happened.

I was running Zone Alarm 4 and was way past due to upgrade. I decided to try version 5.5. The install was error free and version 5.5 looked to be running fine.

After running version 5.5 for only a hour or so, I decided, what the heck, I'll go ahead and upgrade to 6.1. The install looked to be OK. After installing 6.1, I did notice the boot time to be a bit longer and another quirk. If I shut down my browser and then clicked to run an app, there would be a long delay before the app would start loading. Like a 20 to 40 second delay. An hour or two after installing 6.1, I discovered the printer bug.

I did a clean uninstall and updated my printer driver as suggested in this thread and then reinstalled 6.1 but the printer problem and long delays persisted. This is where things really went down hill fast,

I decided to use my restore point and go back to before upgrading to version 6.1. Hopefully this would take me back to running a good installation of version 5.5. No joy. Zone Alarm installed and would run but there were no clickable options on the Zone Alarm window.

Decided to try the clean uninstall again but I couldn't get to the preferences screen to turn off 'Load Zone Alarm Pro at startup" so I couldn't follow the clean uninstall exactly.

When I tried to uninstall the computer locked up. The only option was to power down. Scary..... After rebooting I tried using a restore point further back. Didn't work.

Tried a manual uninstall. Deleted Zone Alarm and then went to the registry and deleted everything I could find related to Zone Alarm or Zone Labs.

At this time I tried to install my old Zone Alarm Pro version 4. Immediately I got a "Validation failed for C:\windows\system32\vsmonapi.dll" error. I didn't have a firewall running but I needed to get to this forum and find out about this error. I enabled the Windows firewall, logged onto this forum and in less than a minute found what looked to be what I needed.

After following the instructions step by step (about the only thing I had not already done was delete the listed files from the system32 folder) I was able to install my old copy of Zone Alarm Pro version 4. I was back to square one.

Being a glutton for punishment, I tried the upgrade to version 5.5 again. Worked like a champ. No problems with the printer and no long delays when loading apps.

Now I'm wondering what the chances of an pain free upgrade to 6.1 would be.

Thanks again for the replies and thanks for this forum. I would of been lost without it.

Doc G

Thread Information