Thread: Weird behaviour - please help

bronsi Guest

Default Weird behaviour - please help

I'm using ZA Internet Security and it's suddenly developed a weird problem.

I've written a piece of software (Delphi) with uses WININET to access the internet and sends XML output to a secure URL, waits for a response, acts on it, sends results back, waits for response, acts on it, sends results back etc. until it either receives a success message or an error message. If the URL is unresolved it throws an error message dialog and resets, stopping it's internet access. If it does not get an appropriate response in the correct format it throws up an error dialog and resets - stopping it's internet access.

Now this software was written on this machine and tested on this machine all OK. It has been distributed to our customers and used successfully. Yet the other day I went to use it for our own live transmission and ZA has stopped it working. When testing, it successfully accessed the URL and swopped message pairs hundreds of times.

I ran it, filled in some needed data and clicked to start submitting data. ZA came up again with a repeat box and I clicked ALLOW and also remember this decision. The program started and then immediately announced it had finished the process correctly. It can't have done as it received no data back to act upon. I have also tried it with a deliberately busted URL and incorrect user ID and passwords and it still reports success. We have checked and checked and checked code and it is not supposed to do that. It is not supposed to be able to do that. The only thing that's causing it to behave this way is ZA. We've tried it on the same machine after turning off ZA (risky) and it works as it is supposed to do. On other machines with different firewalls it also works OK. So the only thing which is affecting it is ZA.

Now having gone through various other security software over the years, ZA was a breath of fresh air and we've had no problems with it - till now. If this problem can't be solved then I'll be uninstalling it and telling our customers to keep clear. If it used to work properly how come it doesn't all of a sudden? I've checked and checked all of ZA settings and given the program in question full trusted access according to program control - yet it is still behaving impossibly.

I don't understand how this can happen.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: Weird behaviour - please help

First of all just let me say I am no way near your level of expertise. I could barely get a machine to add 2+2 using Fortran but having spent some time here on the forum I have noticed certain problems that tend to
    come up
    over and over
    which are usually solved in the same way.

I have noticed that whenever Zonealarm starts acting "forgetfully" ie, settings that were previously saved have to be reconfigured, the problem usually is due to a corrupted database.

Your ZASS database may have become corrupted and needs to be reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

If this doesn't work you may need to do a
    clean uninstallation of the program followed by a re-installation of the program.[*]Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs<ul>[/list][/list][*]RIGHT-click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security, then select Properties.[*]Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system):<ul>[/list][/list]"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninstexe&quot; Change it to:&quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot; /clean

(add a space and then the /clean)[*]Click OK to save the new command line.[*]Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs -&gt; Uninstall Zone Labs Security [*]Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that pop up.[*]say &quot;Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files and allow TrueVector to shut down.[*]Reboot[*]After rebooting, check for the following folders, and delete them if you find them:<ul>[/list][/list]

"Internet Logs"

"Zone Labs&quot; (under your Program Files folder)

"Zonelabs&quot;
    (under your Windows System32 folder)<ul>[*]Empty your recycle bin and reboot your system.[/list]

If after re-installing the
    ZASS your newly created program still doesn't work properly with ZASS installed you can try a complete uninstallation of the program manually by following the instructions at Zonelabs the following link...

http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...tallNonNT.html

I am only throwing all this at you because you seem to really want to stay with this firewall and i am sure you wouldn't want to move on without having tried all possible solutions.( Which is not to say that I am sure this is all that can be done)

bronsi Guest

If I have to do all that then it means that I have wasted money on an unusable product. And considering I can't find an e-mail link for ZA support anywhere and the only place I can get an answer is a user forum, then I think I have.

If a product that's supposed to be one of the best in the business (and I bought it after after reading a lab test in PCPro) occasionaly suffers from a &quot;corrupted database&quot; then there's a problem. And going through some other posts on here it seems to be a regular problem.

I have some time this coming week we'll see if that makes a difference.

Actually, I have suggested three different solutions with an increasing level of complexity. If the first solution is successful you won't have to perform the second or third.

Personally I am one of those folks who actually enjoys tinkering with software installations. I would use the metaphor of the high performance race car that requires constant attention whose only reward is the high performance you get when it is working correctly. Most people don't associate high performance with low maintenance.Did you notice that most of these computer magazine reviews don't mention customer support or software incompatabilities in their evaluations? You have to listen to the users of the software to get that data. If you are looking for journalistic integrity I am afraid you missed it by about
    three decades.Did you read the readers comments that accompanied the PCPro review of ZASS?

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!!!!

Message Edited by ledoc on 05-20-200610:09 AM

Thread Information