Thread: ZoneAlarm Keeps Shutting Down/Restarting

dolfand Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Keeps Shutting Down/Restarting

I have used Zone Alarm Firewall for several years and the Security Suite for a couple of years. I have never had a problem with either product before. However, I have recently transferred to a new work location (a public school) and now the firewall frequently shuts down throughout the day when I use my laptop on the network and requires me to restart the application.

I do not know what the catalyst is for the shut down of the firewall. I'll be either browsing the web, writing/sending an email message, or just typing a Word document when I'll get a Windows dialog box letting me know that the there has been a program that crashed (True Vector Internet Monitor) and would I like to report this error to Microsoft. At this time, the "ZA" logo/icon in the system tray changes to a big ol' "X". I go ahead and let it report it to MS, after which another dialog box (generated by ZA) asks me if I would like to restart True Vector. Of course, I click "Yes" and True Vector will restart and all network access will operate normally until the next time True Vector crashes (which can 5 minutes later or an hour).

The problem seems to just affect the firewall portion of the suite. It seems that the anti-virus and other components continue to function. Also, if I choose not to restart TrueVector, then all network activity is blocked.

Depending where I am in the building, I am either using a wireless connection with DHCP or a wired connection with a static IP. I know that there has been at least one student attempt to get into my computer over the network (there were several text files with messages that suddenly appeared in my "Shared Documents" folder, which I promptly unshared). There is a proxy server for accessing the Internet. Also, I am using Win XP Pro with all of the latest patches and service packs installed.

PS
    While writing this post, I went through two restarts of the firewall

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

cyberian75 Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Keeps Shutting Down/Restarting

It happened just once in my case since I upgraded yesterday. At least it shuts the Internet off when it crashes.

Message Edited by cyberian75 on 06-06-2006 01:37 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Thread Information