Thread: Cursor Freeze-up & Error Related to TouchPad?

Hybrid View

miafortuna Guest

Default Cursor Freeze-up & Error Related to TouchPad?

Just installed the ZoneAlarm Firewall tonight on a new laptop. Here are the pertinent details of the problem :

Notebook Model: Toshiba A105-S4014 Core-Duo, Windows XP MCE
    Browser: Mozilla Firefox (switched from IE last week, because IE was causing stalls on webpages . . . Firefox has totally solved that issue, but I had the Firefox there before I installed ZoneAlarm )

Here's what happens: If I move my finger across the Toshiba touchpad too quickly (this is my best guess as to the reason it happens), the cursor onscreen becomes unmovable, and then a box immediately appears -- the same type that usually comes up for "suspicious behavior" warnings or access approval. Because the cursor is frozen, it makes it impossible to click on "allow" or "deny". Obviously I want to allow it, but how do I do this? Here is the data it lists in the box that appears:

Application: SynTPEnh.exe
    "Suspicious Behavior"
    C:\ProgramFiles\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    (Synaptics Touch Pad Enhancements)
    event=2 subevent=0 class=2

The data goes on to include a line with firefox.exe in it, and yet another line includes microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll . . . quite a bit of data that I had to write down, and I can type it out here if it will help with a diagnosis. Obviously ZA doesn't like my touchpad.

At any rate, once that box appears -- and it has done so twice tonight -- there is no unlocking the screen or exiting or using CONTROL>ALT>DELETE, since the cursor is totally locked up at that point. I have to turn off the machine and begin again, but with no way of preventing it from happening again.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much

Mia

_

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

billc Guest

Default Re: Cursor Freeze-up & Error Related to TouchPad?

If I got a clear understanding of your problem, go to your Zone Alarm Pro Program Control > Programs, locate the offending application (SynTPEnh.exe) and then grant it full permissions. Also, if you open your Zone Alarm Pro control panel, click on the 'Help' button, then the 'Index' tab, type in "keyboard shortcuts" you'll find ways of using Zone Alarm Pro without your mouse via your keyboard.

miafortuna Guest

Thank you, Bill . . . I had tried the first suggestion, but the touchpad doesn't appear on that list, for some reason . . . but the second suggestion helped me not 30 seconds ago! It locked up just as I went to reply to your post, so I hit CONTROL>TAB and it removed the ZA box and immediately freed up the locked cursor. Hurray! Thanks for that tip . . . although I guess I still can't prevent it from happening in the first place?

Mia

billc Guest

I'm not sure you will be able to do this, but it won't hurt to try. Go to your Zone Alarm Program Control > Programs, click on the 'add' button, then enter SynTPEnh.exe and see if it can be manually added to the list. If it can, grant it full permissions. Again, I'm not sure this will work.

miafortuna Guest

I've followed your instructions, Bill, and then did all sorts of moves on my touch pad to see if I could cause the disfunction to happen again . . . and I couldn't! Another huge thank you. I'll post again if the problem reappears, but it does seem to be solved.

Mia

Thread Information