Thread: ZoneAlarm (vsmon.exe) connects to internet at every startup

bugfix Guest

Default ZoneAlarm (vsmon.exe) connects to internet at every startup

At every Windows-start ZoneAlarm (vsmon.exe) connects to internet withoutasking.
    Windows: 98SEZoneAlarm: 6.1.744.001
    The automatic update function of ZoneAlarm is disabled so this can't bethe reason. Also the antivirus update/ check function and the email checkfunction is disabled.I also disallowed the DNS/ DHCP in the advanced firewall security settingscause I read something about a bug in ZoneAlarm with DNS - but thisalso did not change it.At last I tried to put the zonelabs server addresses which are listed in amessage at the top of the General forum part in the windows hosts fileand link them to the localhost address but this also did not work.
    I did not find a possibility to deactivate this behaviour nor the exact reasonwhy ZoneAlarm does that.
    I thought a personal firewall is to ensure that no program can connect tointernet without asking the user - and now the firewall itself does that.

Operating System:Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm (vsmon.exe) connects to internet at every startup

One of the other volunteers here got an e-mail from Zone Labs concerning this topic. Here is what it said. See if that helps.<hr>This is the info I got today if you want to stop this, but make sure that you read all the cautions and information as it will affect how the software works. This is for the newest version only (as tested by ZoneLabs) The ZoneAlarm family of products offers a number of features and services that enhance your security by providing specific information about threats, configurations, and programs. To enable these services, ZoneAlarm security products communicate periodically with Zone Labs servers. Of course, this communication is done on an "opt in" basis; it is your choice to decide to take advantage of these features and services.

Here are the steps to take to disable any contact between your ZoneAlarm product and Zone Labs servers. NOTE: Disabling these features will limit the functionality of the security product, in the ways described below.

Turn off Antivirus monitoring found in ZoneAlarm, ZoneAlarm with Antivirus, ZoneAlarm Pro, and ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Choose Antivirus Monitoring (or Antivirus) | Main, and set Monitoring to Off. Disabling this feature will prevent the program from informing you when your antivirus solution from vendors like Norton, McAfee, Trend or CA is out of date or disabled.

Turn off automatic updates to Antivirus Protection, found in ZoneAlarm with Antivirus, ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Choose Antivirus | Main, and click the Antivirus Options button. The Advanced Antivirus Settings dialog appears. Select Updates from the list on the left, and uncheck "Disable Automatic Updates." Disabling this feature prevents your ZoneAlarm product from automatically updating its antivirus definitions, radically reducing its effectiveness against new viruses.

Disable Program Advisor (security advice from the AlertAdvisor) found in ZoneAlarm Pro and ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Choose Program Control | Main, and set the AlertAdvisor slider to Off. This feature can normally be run in automatic or manual mode. If you shut it off entirely, you won't have program access permissions assigned automatically, and you won't receive recommendations in manual mode. You will instead be asked to manually confirm (without advice) whether each new program, when launched, can access the Internet.

Disable sharing your security settings, found in ZoneAlarm Pro and ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Choose Overview | Preferences, and uncheck "Share my security settings anonymously with Zone Labs." With this feature disabled, you won't be sharing your configuration information with Zone Labs. Zone Labs aggregates and analyzes this anonymous information to improve performance of our products.

Disable automatic Check for Update functionality, found in ZoneAlarm Pro and ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Choose Overview | Preferences, and set the Check for Updates button to Manual. With this feature disabled, you won't be automatically notified when Zone Labs releases a new version of our products. You should make sure you continue to click the manual "Check for Update" button every few weeks, so you don't miss a product update. <hr>

bugfix Guest

Dear BillCherryAtl,

I have read this text somewhere (in the forum?) before I write my post.

But as
    I have written in my post I disabled everything with no success.

billc Guest

Can I ask you how you know it is vsmon.exe is connecting to the internet?

bugfix Guest

Hello Bill!
    1) The connecting began right after installing ZoneAlarm.2) The system connects to internet very early at the system start - before the desktopicons or the taskbar are shown. And vsmon.exe ist loaded very early at the systemstart to get very early protection.3) When disabling vsmon.exe from autostart but leave the Zone Labs client then vsmon.exeis loaded together with the client and then the system connects to internet that later.4) When disabling vsmon.exe and zlclient.exe from autostart the system does notconnect to internet at startup.

billc Guest

Other than the various items listed in my first post, I don't know of any other setting to change. It is possible that your Zone Alarm database does not recognize your settings and is making connections anyway. I could suggest you reset your database, go through the various settings to make sure they are off or on manual. If you want to give that a go, here's how.

Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

bugfix Guest

Hello Bill,

I deleted the database and reconfigured ZoneAlarm but with no change in behaviour.

I also tried to put the vsmon.exe in the list of programs and disallowed any connections

but also without success - maybe ZoneAlarm ignores such an entry or checks the

program settings later.

sinaida Guest

Hello bugfix,

I have the same problems with Zone Alarm, and I hate it, because every connection costs money! Not everyone has a flat. And yes, automatical update is deactivated.

I know, that there is a problem with phoning home of Zone Alarm, and Bill, I don't want to do that unpractical - and like bugfix wrote - not working workaround of your postings before. In fact, after disabling automatic update, zone alarm don't has to connect to internet for whatever. I don't know the meening of this text, copied from the german helpfile:

Hinweis: In bestimmten Situationen werden Sie nicht benachrichtigt, bevor eine Verbindung hergestellt wird. Dies trifft beispielsweise in folgenden Situationen zu: Beim Senden von DefenseNet-Daten an Zone Labs, wenn Sie Zone Labs um Rat bitten, wenn eine Antivirus-Aktualisierung durchgef hrt wird oder wenn Ihr Antivirus-Status berwacht wird. Durch die Einstellung Einstellungen anonym freigeben... wird die DefenseNet- bertragung deaktiviert. Alle anderen Einstellungen k nnen ber die Registerkarte Grundeinstellungen der jeweiligen Bildschirme deaktiviert werden.

There is no option for 'Give options free as anonymous...' . And I want an information for EVERY internet connection.

I often use my PC without a connection to internet and nothing on my PC has to connect to internet itself. Nothing.
    So please show an easy way to disable that bad 'service'. It is not userfriendly.

Sorry, I am not angry, my English is not the best.... Understanding is OK, but writing....

Sinaida

Thread Information