Thread: Zone Alarm is most definately blocking Internet access, not IP address renewing issue.

tepabajo Guest

Default Zone Alarm is most definately blocking Internet access, not IP address renewing issue.

I have seen many posts regarding this problem but it seems that most of the response has been that the IP address is being dropped for some reason. If this is the case please explain why I can pull up any site once I shut down ZA? If my PC sits for awhile more times than not I loose my connection, however,once I shut down ZA I can get right on. I guess the way to find out for sure is too let my Pc set for awhile without ZA on just to see if I still loose my connection. Any feedback would be appreciated. Tepabajo

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm is most definately blocking Internet access, not IP address renewing issue.

Do you have your Automatic Lock set to engage after a period of inactivity?

tepabajo Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm is most definately blocking connection, it's not the loosing the IP address issue!

Negative.

Message Edited by Tepabajo on 06-05-2006 02:55 PM

Message Edited by Tepabajo on 06-05-2006 02:56 PM

freemind Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm is most definately blocking connection, it's not the loosing the IP address issue!

I dont know exactly how you configured your system. But one way to find out is to use Windows XP's powerful feature called "Event Viewer." This feature logs every system and application activities, whether it's good or bad. To go there, click Start, right click My Computer, Computer Management windows pops up. Double click Event Viewer on the left panel of the windows. There are three files: Application, Security, and System. Since internet disconnection is mostly caused by system files, click on System and you'll see all the logged activities shown. Then go through those and double click on activities that labeled as Warning or Error. If the message is too cryptic, you can copy the whole msg and google it. If the disconnection is caused by programs, then go to Application and do the same as above.

billc Guest

Just for kicks, do you have your DHCP server IP in the Trusted zone?

tepabajo Guest

I will verify it tonight. Also, why would ZA have a question mark accross all 4 zones for itself? I would think it would automatically be configured as having rights both as a server and trusted zone.

tepabajo Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm is most definately blocking Internet access, not IP address renewing issue.

I checked the Auto Internet Lock feature and it is off. I also verified that when my monitor goes into screen saver mode that it's not the problem by selecting No Screen Saver and leaving the PC long enough to drop the connection. When I came back, guess what? No connection. I shutdown ZA and let the PC sit for awhile and did not loose the connection, so this proves that it has something to do with the ZA application.

Thread Information