Thread: ZA 6.5xxx Free mess up drive letter assignments

kda Guest

Default ZA 6.5xxx Free mess up drive letter assignments

I updated to ZA Free 6.5.700 and all seemed to go just fine. Only later did I notice that my DVD Burner drive letter assignment (WinXP Pro SP2) had been changed from "L" to "I". "I" is the first available drive letter on my computer.

No biggie, I thought, so I went into Disk Management and changed it back from I to L. That went fine and all seemed OK .. but only until I rebooted WinXP. Upon reboot, I saw the drive letter for the burner had been reassigned back to "I"

I tried changing it back to L and then rebooting again ... several times. Nothing could stop the drive letter reassignment.

Finally, I did a RESTORE to my earlier WinXP configuration made before the update of ZA (using a Ghost Backup) and all was well.

Then I tried ZA 6.5.700 again and the reassignment of my DVD burner occurred once again.

Restored from my Ghost Backup ... all was well with my drive letter again.

I installed ZA 6.5.700 one last time to make sure that was the problem ... it was.

I am now back to ZA 6.1.7.441 and all seems well even after several reboots.

Anyone help?

ASUS A8n32Sli-Dlx with RAPTOR 150 GB SATA HD and three partitions
    One Maxtor IDE HD with three partitions (I ghost the Raptor to this Maxtor)
    AMD FX 60 dual core
    2 GB Corsair RAM
    twin GeForce video cards in SLI mode.
    One Lite-On CD Burner as drive K:
    One Sony CD\DVD burner as drive L: (this drive letter gets reassigned to I).
    No overclocking or anything fancy.

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

kda Guest

Default Re: ZA 6.5xxx Free mess up drive letter assignments _ SOLVED!

I ran across this post in these forums:
    ------
    How to CLEAN UNINSTALL ZoneLabs ZONE ALARM

Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.
    -------
    And I followed the instructions above to the letter. A fresh install following a CLEAN UNINSTALL seems have to resolved my drive letter reassignment problems.

FYI

Thread Information