Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Date Modified of files (timestamp) not working

yarok Guest

Default Date Modified of files (timestamp) not working

Hi,

THIS BUG IS SERIOUS as it prevents AV, antispyware, and many applications from working properly!!!

Ever since I installed the ZAP 65.700.000, when I modify a file and save it to back to my computer the Date Modified remains unchanged (*)

The same happens sometimes with the Date Accessed. The Date Created is always accurate.

DETAILS

Each file and folder on my computer is listed in my Windows Explorer with three dates attached to it:

Date Created (when was the file or folder created)

Date Accessed (when was the file or folder last accessed)

And Date Modified (when was the file or folder modified)

The problem most commonly occurs with Outlook Express .eml files and with HTML files modified by FrontPage.

This started only after I installed ZAP 65.700.000. I didn't have this problem with the previous revisions of ZAP.

Many AV and antispyware programs use the Windows time stamp in "smart" scanning. If the time stamps don't change - the files don't get scanned!

Additionally, many software applications rely on time stamps for a variety of functions.

This bug is REAL BAD NEWS and must be fixed super-urgently.

Thank you for being there.

Yarok

(*) Example:

The file's date modified is June 5, 2006.

On June 11, 2006, I modify it by adding new text to it and removing old text and so on.

I save it to my computer.

The Date Modified remains the same, unchanged: June 5, 2006.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

shraga Guest

Default Re: Date Modified of files (timestamp) not working

I have exactly the same BUG :-( and i spend the all working day to find out what happened here .

Now i will go back to the older working version of ZA 61_744_001

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,

Is your clock current, sometimes this may cause problems? Just a suggestion!

PLEASE contact Tech Support and let them know about the problem, that's the only way we can get this problem solved. Here is the direct link to Tech Support and PLEASE keep us posted on this forum about your results, Thanks.

Welcome to Zone Labs Web-Based Technical Support

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...ch_support.jsp

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

4. Default Re: Date Modified of files (timestamp) not working

Hi, SlyFox,

My clock is current.

I can't believe that no one from ZA responded to this thread. It is a very, very serious bug!

I can't access the form for some reason (security settings, probably). Can you please inform Tech Support?

Many thanks.

Yarok

Message Edited by yarok on 06-13-2006 02:53 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,

I don't understand WHY you can not click on that Tech Support direct link, unless you have some type of nasty malware installed on your computer. Have you completed any type of scans lately? Here are a couple of sites, if you are interested.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.ewido.net/en/

Also, this may or may not help you. It appears that the root certificate on your machine is corrupted and thus cannot validate. Try following these steps first and see if it helps:

Open Your browser and navigate to the following URL.
    Once at the web page follow the directions to reset your root certificates.
    https://getca.verisign.com/

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

6. Default Re: Date Modified of files (timestamp) not working

Hi, Slyfox,

Submitted the report. I suggest you do, too. The more of us complain, the surer the fix.

My machine is clean as a whistle. Have been running NAV and Ewido (and previous to that TDS) for years now, as well as ZAP and Adaware.

Forget my machine. That's not where the problem is.

The bug in ZAP is real. It has been reported by other people at the AV/Antispyware forum;

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=11679

HOOV, someone, can anyone relate to this issue?

Yarok

I don't seem to have this problem with ZA free 6.5.700. XP SP2 all updates.

yarok Guest

Does the free version have antispyware?

The antispyware seems to be the problem, though no one knows for sure.

The bug is now reported on a few forums, including on another forum here - see this thread:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=11679

Thanks everyone!

Yarok

Someone sent me a link to this thread so I am going to jump in (I am still having connection problems so is taking 10 minutes).I think this may be a case of your security is turned down too tight. I recently had a problem with Electron Microscope III which monitors the folding@home console clients running on both my machine and the other one on my network. Turned out to be the problem was I had settings incorrect. This newest incarnation of ZoneAlarm has really gone a long way in securing your computer both internally and externally. So my suggestion is one of two things,If you do not use the expert rules, then reset your settings database for ZoneAlarm by first turn off ZA (turn off your internet connection if it is on) by right clicking on the ZA icon in the system tray and selecting shutdown then go to c:\windows and create a new folder named oldlogs then go to c:\windows\internet logs and then move all the files that have an RDB or ldb extension to the oldlogs folder that you created. Now start ZA again and see if ZA is working correctly now, especially the date problem. Leave the program control on medium for a while so it will learn your habits. Also I suggest using the settings suggested by the smart defense advisor, it has gotten to be a lot better the longer it is used, and the more data ZoneLabs can compile. If you do use the expert rules for programs in ZA, go to the program list in ZA and select all the programs in ZA that do not have customized expert rules for, and then click delete, the go to the components tab and select everything there and then select delete.Set the program control on medium for a while so it will learn your habits. Also I suggest using the settings suggested by the smart defense advisor, it has gotten to be a lot better the longer it is used, and the more data ZoneLabs can compile. In both cases, you can backup the settings in ZA so you will have something to go back to. If you do either set of instructions, please post the results so we can refine the instructions so such drastic actions will not be necessary. You can post either her or over at CastleCops on the thread http://castlecops.com/t158890-ZAP_di...ied_files.html. I tend to answer more over there, as I can turn more graphics off there than here, so pages load faster. Hopefully I will be getting my wireless soon, they have some setbacks, and it will be sometime in the next 2 weeks, if all goes well.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

yarok Guest

Default New ZAP - same problem

Hi,

Just installed the new ZAP 6.5.714.000 (trial version) on three computers.

Same problem on all three.

(All three are Windows XP Pro SP2, fully patched).

The Date Modified does not change..

That's a serious bug!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Sam

PS:

There are is a thread on this issue over at the Castlecops forum, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information