Thread: cannot change home page in internet explorer with zone alarm 6.5 installed.

philbee Guest

Default cannot change home page in internet explorer with zone alarm 6.5 installed.

i am unable to change my home page in Internet Explorer with Free Zone Alarm 6.5 installed. is there a work-around for this? the only workaround i have found that works is to once again, simply uninstall zone alarm!

this is not the first time i have had serious problems with zone alarm or zone alarm pro when they have released a new version. is there a fix for this, and is zone labs aware of the problem. until i hear of a fix i am not re-installing any zone labs product on my system. thank you for any help.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

jnordell Guest

Default Re: cannot change home page in internet explorer with zone alarm 6.5 installed.

I'm also having this problem except with XP pro. The help file says to check the OSFirewall settings, but the tab is missing.

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: cannot change home page in internet explorer with zone alarm 6.5 installed.

Hi,

PLEASE try the following fix, if it does not fix the problem, PLEASE post back, Thanks.

A database reset will fix the problem if Zone Alarm is the problem in the first place. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

jnordell Guest

I tried as you suggested and it still didn't work. This is a brand new installation on a brand new laptop. I wasn't able to change the home page as soon as it was installed. Once I uninstall ZoneAlarm I'm able to change it again.

I had not seen this thread, but posted my own:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=34294

philbee Guest

i gave up. i simply stopped using zone alarm free, and i'll take my chances with the windows xp firewall. from reading another thread on the same subject, i see zone labs has done NOTHING to resolve the issue, and i refuse to be a guinea pig any longer for endless zone alarm bugs!

every new version is buggier than the last, and seems to affect basic windows xp functionality. i'll stay subscribed to these two threads just to see if this bug is corrected, but i doubt highly i'll use any zone labs product again.

darchangel Guest

Easy fix for you Guys.

1. Restart PC in Safe Mode With Networking.
    2. Start IE > Change Homepage to your Requirements.
    3. Restart PC as normal - Hey presto!!! Changed Homepage.

I have used this method and can now change the Homepage at will without having to go through steps 1-3 every time.

Hope this helps those that need it.

regards,
    -=D=-

almonteguy Guest

I am also experiencing this problem, on both a Windows XP and a Home Edition system. I have managed to change the Home Page by booting in Safe Mode as suggested in another reply, however it does not fix the problem permanently as suggested there. I have to go to Safe Mode each time (or not load Zone Alarm at Startup, either way it requires a reboot, just closing the client doesn't work).

Since I do not want to change my Home Page frequently this is not a huge inconvenience but I hope the bug is addressed soon. The biggest problem was figuring out what was causing the inability to change the Home Page in the first place, since this seems to be an undocumented "feature" in the ZoneAlarm Free version. I understand the Pro version has a setting that allows you to turn the feature off, that should be added to the Free version IMHO.

launchdriver Guest

I had this problem also and followed the suggestion to remove Zone Alarm Free which I did. Then I was able to change my home page to the desired one. Following this I reinstalled Zone Alarm and now I have my home page as I wanted. Even tho I turned off the blocking in Norton I was still unable to change my home page until I removed Zone Alarm. Hope this helps someone as I spent days trying to solve this problem. Advice from my ISP and from Norton did not help.

Thread Information