Thread: Bug in Recent Update

sadiehl Guest

Default Bug in Recent Update

Both my desktop and laptop have been updated to 6.5.714.000. Now everytime we log onto either computer, we receive the following "Zone Alarm Alert: SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR - Spy Sweeper SDK is trying to access your network settings by modifying the file: WINDRVDIR\etc\hosts, Application: WRSSDK.exec." Whether we "Accept" or "Deny," it will pop-up three consecutive times when logging on to either computer. This warning never appreared with previous versions of Zone Alarm. There has been no recent updating of our Spy Sweeper programs on either computer.Within "Program Control,"I haveassured that the settings provide complete freedom to "Spy Sweeper SDK" and all for other listings for the Spy Sweeper program. Also, I have made sure all settings within Spy Sweeper are proper. No matter what we do, the three Zone Alarm Alerts pop-up 3 times upon log on ever since we upgraded to 6.5.714.000. Since using Zone Alarm Pro for a number of years now, this is the first update that has caused any problems.Please advise.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

shnabors Guest

Default Re: Bug in Recent Update

I'm experiencing this too and also noticed it since the latest update. However, I'm using ZA Security Suite v.6.5.714 w/ WinXP SP2 Home.

crowellp Guest

Default Re: Bug in Recent Update - There's more than one!

This is only one bug in this release. A more serious one, to me, is that ZAP 6.5.714 prevents my Home Site 5.5 from updating a file date when a change is made and saved. There are several other users who have this problem. I am using XPPro and have uninstalled and re-installed HomeSite with no improvement. This is a major bug for developers and has not been addressed since 06/07 when first posted in the Anti-spyware forum.

The Forum moderator needs to pay attention to this. It has major implications for AV and Anti-spyware as well.

Peter

windrider6 Guest

<blockquote><hr>sadiehl wrote:
    Both my desktop and laptop have been updated to 6.5.714.000. Now everytime we log onto either computer, we receive the following "Zone Alarm Alert: SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR - Spy Sweeper SDK is trying to access your network settings by modifying the file: WINDRVDIR\etc\hosts, Application: WRSSDK.exec." Whether we "Accept" or "Deny," it will pop-up three consecutive times when logging on to either computer. . . . [snip]
    <hr></blockquote>

On the ZA alert pop-up, did you check the option "Remember this decision", before clicking the "Accept" button? Sometimes people forget to do this.

sadiehl Guest

Guru, Jarvis, gave the answer in response to another message post:

There are now some Global OS Firewall settings, that can operate independantly of the Trust level on specific programs. Program Control --&gt; Main --&gt; Custom and click the OS Firewall tab. Here you will find that HOSTS file access is by default set to "?" for all programs (even Super). Set it to "--" to revert to the previous behaviour where any "Super" program can modify HOSTS.

So far it has fixed the "bug" for us.

trparky Guest

Default Re: Bug in Recent Update - There's more than one!

Just go back to 6.1 and stay there.

There is no freakin' reason why they released this version that I can think of, other than give us all major headaches.

Thread Information