Thread: Which version of WSOCK32.DLL ?

geuras Guest

Default Which version of WSOCK32.DLL ?

According to the information in http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P.../ShutDown.html:<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr>"ZoneAlarm is designed to work with ONLY the original Winsock2 file that shipped originally with Windows.

To determine if you have more than one copy, be sure you have your options set toview all files and folders (including System, Hidden, Protected, etc). Search for WSOCK32.DLL (you may need to change search options to search through system folders as well). The original should be located in your SYSTEM or SYSTEM32 folder - you can get file properties by right-clicking on the filename, select Properties, then Version.</BLOCKQUOTE>

What version number should be in the SYSTEM or SYSTEM 32 folder? Should I remove all others from my computer?

When I shutdown the computer, I get a message telling me that Windows is ending the Zone Alarm program. I have trieddeleting the database, as the above article also suggested, but that did not work.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

windrider6 Guest

Default Re: Which version of WSOCK32.DLL ?

<blockquote><hr>geuras wrote:
    . . . [snip] . . .
    When I shutdown the computer, I get a message telling me that Windows is ending the Zone Alarm program. I have tried deleting the database, as the above article also suggested, but that did not work.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 6.5
    <hr></blockquote>

Are you saying that Windows will not shut down at all because ZoneAlarm is not ending properly? Or is the faulty stop of ZoneAlarm just delaying Windows shutdown?

The latest 6.5 versions of ZoneAlarm have a tendency to not end properly when Windows shuts down, causing a warning in the Event Log about a program writing to the registry while Windows is shutting down. What I have seen of this, is that the window popping up about stopping ZoneAlarm (or one of it's components), quickly disappears after it pops up, and Windows then shuts down.

pwillener Guest

Do you have any other versions of WSOCK32.DLL than the one in the SYSTEM32 folder? If you have XP-SP2, the version should be 5.1.2600.2180. If you find the same version in other folders, e.g. dllcache, leave them.

geuras Guest

It is the faulty stop and not a failure to shut down at all. Should I just ignore this and let well enough alone, or is there a deeper issue that ought to concern me?

geuras Guest

I have ther right version in the System32 folder and also in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. I have another version, 5.1.2600.0, in C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$. Should I do anything?

windrider6 Guest

<blockquote><hr>geuras wrote:
    It is the faulty stop and not a failure to shut down at all. Should I just ignore this and let well enough alone, or is there a deeper issue that ought to concern me?
    <hr></blockquote>

I say don't worry about it. It is not a major problem, and will hopefully be fixed soon.

geuras Guest

Thanks for the advice.I will take it.

Dean

<HR>geuras wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE>

Ihave ther right version in the System32 folder and also in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. I have another version, 5.1.2600.0, in C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$. Should I do anything?

<HR>

The $NTServicePackUninstal$ folder contains the earlier versions of Windows files needed should you ever wish to roll back from SP2 to what you had before you installed SP2. They would only be accessed if you went to controll panel, add/remove and removed SP2. The files are not otherwise used, nor do they interfere with system operation.
    </BLOCKQUOTE>

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 06-22-2006 01:54 PM

geuras Guest

Thanks for the help. I will just leave things as they are.

Thread Information