Thread: Upgrade yesterday to ZA Security Suite has made my computer unusable

nickdevoil Guest

Default Upgrade yesterday to ZA Security Suite has made my computer unusable

Yesterday I got a popup telling me about an upgrade, so I installed it.The Overview page is now showing version 6.5.714.000.Now, any time I try to access any application on my PC, I get "Access to the specified device, path or file is denied." Since this includes the Control Panel, I can't uninstall the product.HELP!

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

samlar Guest

Default Re: Upgrade yesterday to ZA Security Suite has made my computer unusable

you should be able to go to start the all programs and see zonealarm there and it should have an unintall option if not do a search for zauninst.exe it should be in "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" run that and it should remove it. I for one would not load 6.5 again until they fix the bugs bugs bugs go back to 6.1 and uncheck the automatic check for updates.

nickdevoil Guest

Default Re: Upgrade yesterday to ZA Security Suite has made my computer unusable

I do have "Uninstall Zone Labs Security" but when I click on it I get the same error message followed by "Unable to run the command".

And yes,zauninst.exe is where you said it is, but again the same message. And the same when I type the path & filename into "Run".

Thanks anyway.

Any more ideas?

ttthompson Guest

Did you try booting the system into safe mode and than running the uninstall?

If you are unaware you do that by pressing the F8 key at bootup and selecting "Safe Mode" with no drivers, start-up software, etc, enabled.

Make sure no connection to the internet is operational at the time you do this as you will be wide open to possible outside malware attempting to install itself on your system. If you have a standby switch on your modem place the system in stand-by. If it is constant-on than either pull the plug on it or pull the USB or ether-net wire that connects it to your system.

This should work as ZA will not be running and thus not blocking your attempts at an uninstall.

Reboot and install a clean version of 6.1.

Hope it works out for you.

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,

Have you tried the option of "Last Known Good Configuration"? Also, perhaps you may want to try the option of SFC /Scannow, just in case any system files are missing. Then if you are interested, PLEASE go to the following thread and select one of the uninstall options that you would like to try to get your problem solved.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=50661

BTW, there is a new updated version that came out last night, here is the link to that. ZoneAlarm Security Suite
    http://www.zonelabs.com/zasuitedownload

Hopefully the above info has helped you.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

nickdevoil Guest

Yes, that worked, thanks.

nickdevoil Guest

Thanks for the info, I will take a look if I have any more problems.I don't think I'll be trying the new version just yet though!

dieselme Guest

I thought it was just me!!! I tried running internet explorer and i got the same thing -- a popup saying Internet explorer (path goes here) is invalid.. INTERNET Explorer of all applications, i thought someone was hacking my computer, i finally managed to open Task Manager before my systemfroze and ZLCLIENT.EXE was using up more than 94MB of Ram, What On Earth!!!Anyone Experiencing This Issue?Using Zone Alarm Security Suite Version: 6.5.722.000

roadtrip Guest

I haven't experienced any of the afore mentioned problems yet, (knock on wood), but I have experienced other problems since downloading 6.5. Some of my programs that ran just fine prior to downloading 6.5 will not run unless I disable ZA. I even got the infamous windows error, "windows has encountered a problem and must be shut down. Sorry about your luck, etc. etc." while running WINDOWS DEFRAG!. I can't figure that one out, but after dsabling ZA, it ran fine, as with the other programs. Gotta be a major glich with ZA 6.5 going on here!!!

Thread Information