Although the quoted message below says the problem with ZoneAlarm and Eudora has been fixed, it hasn't been fixed for me!
This is the problem with Zone Alarm v5.1.033 & Eudora v184.108.40.206. I have 6 personalities, 5 of them different Email mailboxes on my domain, and 1 for Comcast. On a random basis one or more will time-out waiting for a response (Eudora got tired of waiting). Worse, Eudora often crashes completely, requiring a restart of the program. The Windows error message is sometimes:
Sometimes I get a message:
The exception Unknown Software Exception on (0x0000024) occurred in th eapplication at location 0x7c96ed1
The instruction 0x0040da9b referenced memory at 0x0244000. The memory could not be read.
My settings for all personalities are "Secure Sockets When Sending: Never" on both the main properties tab and the Incoming Mail tab.
NOTE: This problem does not occur either when I leave the computer overnight in "Safe Mode" or if I temporarily disable ZoneAlarm. I haven't tried leaving it overnight with ZoneAlarm disabled for fear of attacks. It also doesn't happen with other computers that are running other security software (e.g., Norton).
I realize that Zone Alarm is now up to v6, but I bought v5 only a few weeks ago and was told by Zone Alarm Sales that my product would be automatically upgraded and kept up-to-date for the one-year subscription life.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions people can give.
I had a working Windows XP system with Eudora 7 and Zone Alarm Pro 6.X. I upgraded to Zone Alarm Security Suite 6.1. Eudora stopped working. It hung trying to log into the mail servers. After approximately 5 minutes, Eudora gave a tired of waiting error message. In the Zone Alarm Pro control panel Eudora was trusted and appeared to have all required capabilities. The Zone Alarm log showed no blocked transactions associated with the attempted Eudora/server communications.
I got Eudora 7 working again by changing the check mail settings from if available startttls to never. This means that Eudora is no longer establishing an SSL channel for transmission of user authentication data, but it is working.
The purpose of this posting is as follows:
1) Make the workaround widely known.
2) Ask how to configure Zone Alarm to allow me to enable the secure authentication login protocol again.
Operating System: Windows XP Pro
Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
Software Version: 6.0
Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite