Thread: (newbie) Automatic Lock: How can I know if it works with screen saver?

johnnybob Guest

Default (newbie) Automatic Lock: How can I know if it works with screen saver?

(newbie, first post) ZoneAlarm free version 6.1.744.000
    I've played around with the timed "automatic lock"
    and it works sometimes, but doesn't seem reliable. So I
    have settled for letting it lock when the screen saver engages. However...
    I can't see anything when screen saver engages! So how can I know if Zone Alarm's "automatic lock" operation has actually locked when the screen saver engaged? Is there any way to test that?
    It's like a chinese puzzle. Thanks,JohnnyBob

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

billc Guest

Default Re: (newbie) Automatic Lock: How can I know if it works with screen saver?

Now that's one I've never seen asked before. One thing that happens when your lock is engaged is that all internet activity is blocked including your DHCP server which means your IP lease will not be renewed and you will not be able to connect to the internet once your screen saver goes off. Which is why I don't recommend you engage your internet lock. If your firewall is properly configured, I don't see any advantage to ever engage the lock. Incoming blocking does not change and only the programs you've previously granted access can get out. So actually nothing is any different than it would be if you were sitting in front of your computer.

johnnybob Guest

Default Re: (newbie) Automatic Lock: How can I know if it works with screen saver?

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I slept on it and dreamed up a way. Send myself an email. Set my pop3 email parser to parse every hour in Outlook Express. Set my screen saver to engage after 30 minutes. Wa la when I wake up the computer from the screen saver, either the email has already been received, or it hasn't.

I respect your advice but sleep better knowing that it's impossible for a superhacker to find a worm hole in ZoneAlarm and turn my computer into their own favorite playground. I've experimented and believe I've found an easy
    way, short of turning off my DSL modem, albeit not automatic:

--rightclick the ZoneAlarm icon in systray and select "Stop all Internet activity"
    --reverse this when I'm ready to resume internet access
    --the connection is dead at that point ('host not found' when I try to access something on the internet), but running an "ipconfig /flushdns" in a command window appears to reactivate the connection OK, so I'll probably put that in a batch file with a shortcut for fast reactivation

It's a plan, anyway...

JohnnyBob

billc Guest

Thanks for your response. My view is that if you feel safer, by all means use it.

_sig_ Guest

I have a "Q" about the auto. internet lock option in ZA Free. I noticed that in the setup menu for the lock it has the option to "allow pass-lock programs to access the internet" like in Za Pro... I thought that was only supposed to be availible in Pro? I wanted to set up some of my programs to be "pass-lock" programs but, didn't see any settings like in Pro where I could set a program to be a "pass-lock" program. I know this probably sounds like a stupid "Q" to some/all of you but, I just thought that if ZA Free has that option listed in the setup menu for the lock then it must have the option to set what programs to allow. Thanks in advance for any replies.

-SIG-

Thread Information