Thread: Listening

chex Guest

Default Listening

While it is often mentioned in this forum and others, I'm not sure I understand what "listening" is or what it implies. Using Ewido-Analysis-Connections, I get:

svchost.exe LISTENING 0.0.0.0
    system LISTENING 0.0.0.0
    alg.exe LISTENING 0.0.0.0
    avp.exe (Kaspersky)LISTENING 0.0.0.0

Anyone have a low-tech explanation of what this all means? Thanks.

Chex
    Home network with wireless router

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Listening

In simple terms, the application named is 'waiting for' or 'monitoring' a connection request on the port indicated. Some applications use the same ports all the time while others are assigned dynamical.Now let me add this, even though an application is "listening" for a connection request it will not "hear" such a request unless you have granted 'server' rights to the program. It would be like someone dialing your telephone number but unless you have the bell on, you won't hear it ring. Make sense? The 0.0.0.0 address is called the default route.

chex Guest

Thanks Bill. So from your comments I take it that LISTENING itself is not necessarily a weakness of the firewall. Of the ones I listed, ZAP automatically assigned avp.exe (Kaspersky) server rights. From what I have read in this forum and the KAV/KIS forum, this is a safe thing to do, but does ZAP also decide, suggest, or ask which of the other programs are safe for LISTENING?
    Chex

billc Guest

When you say 'listening' that does not mean a program can 'hear' anything until or unless it is granted server rights. So as far as you're concerned, a program that is listening behind a firewall without 'server' rights is not a threat. Some programs need to be granted server rights to function properly like video chat for example. However, you need not grant server rights until you actually use the program. Also, it is probably not a risk to grant Kaspersky server rights, but I'm not sure why it is necessary. I think it will work just fine with 'access' in Program Control.

chex Guest

It's making more sense to me, and as far as I can tell, it isn't necessary to give Kaspersky server rights. The program seems to work the same whether I do or don't allow them. In any case, I'm much obliged for your explanation - that helped.
    Chex

Thread Information