Thread: Discontinuance of Product Support for W98

rjemery Guest

Default Discontinuance of Product Support for W98

I was disappointed to learn that ZoneAlarm is no longer being updated for users of W98, W98SE and WMe. I am a user of the single-machine home version of ZoneAlarm for my PC. I see no advantage to Microsoft's later operating systems and am a very happy W98 user, which I plan to continue using for some time. I will continue to use the latest version of ZoneAlarm that was released for W98.

I was also disappointed that the ZoneLabs "Contact Us" page provided no means of communicating with corporate management, to whom I had hoped to convey my displeasure with their decision.

Operating System:Windows 98 (original)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

pwillener Guest

Default Re: Discontinuance of Product Support for W98

The decision was announced here http://www.zonelabs.com/store/support/win98MEusers.jsp

What I do not quite understand is the last sentence "This announcement applies to consumer products only and does not affect enterprise products."

rjemery Guest

<blockquote><hr>pwillener wrote:
    The decision was announced here http://www.zonelabs.com/store/support/win98MEusers.jsp

What I do not quite understand is the last sentence &quot;This announcement applies to consumer products only and does not affect enterprise products.&quot;
    <hr></blockquote>
    The last sentence means, I think, that if you are an enterprise user running W98, support (but not necessarily new updates) remains available.

pwillener Guest

Here is a better link, b.t.w. http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...n98MEusers.jsp

Regarding that last sentence, 6.5 products will run on Win98 if you are a corporate customer...?

evolution_jg Guest

I cannot believe that you are "happy using win98" come on man that OS is 8 years old....And in case you are not aware winxp and even win2000 are far more stable than win98 every was... remember win98 is still running on top of DOS...you should at least upgrade to win2000(the last of the 9x series windows) and to me the most STABLE windows ever built !!

pr Guest

I use both XP and 98se. The discontinuance of support by MS and ZL is a bigproblem. Sure XP is a lot better, but you have to have much more machine torun it. I have an XP machine as my main machine at home, but three other 98semachines in my lab, shop, etc, used for (mostly) more or less "dedicated" uses.That is: testing, etc. Theseuses depend on older, unique software that can't runon XP, and there is no way to get upgrades to the software. Changing to someother, alternate, newer software would involve re-entering data in large databases.That would take literally months. Plus there's the cost of the new machines, andlet's see, I have a new wife and baby, we just did a major remodeling, and whereI work, the entire industry is being wiped out by Chinese imports. Sure I have abackup plan for the latter -- didn't include new computers and who knows howmuch time to switch over to them. Similar situation at work, but worse: I'd guessthat toswap overthe database that essentially contains most of our company info.would take the entire office staff at least a year. And, plus, we'd have to replacea whole pile of machines -- this while we are fighting for survival. Maybe BillGates could take .001%of his pile of money he wants to give away around theworld and put it into helping some of hisCUSTOMERS who aren't so well heeledby continuing support for older OS's!!! Question: What is the most recent versionof basic ZoneAlarm that will still run on 98? 61_744_001_en? If not, how does oneget the "last" version? And how to stop all the stupid reminders that are sure tokeep popping up?Maybe some enterprising freeware source of protection will pop up. Seems like it'dbe tough for just some individual to do it, though...

rjemery Guest

<blockquote><hr>PR wrote:

Question: What is the most recent version of basic ZoneAlarm that will still run on 98? 61_744_001_en? If not, how does one get the &quot;last&quot; version? And how to stop all the stupid reminders that are sure to keep popping up?
    <hr></blockquote>

The last version and downloadable file usable on W98 was zlsSetup_61_744_001_en.exe To download that version, try IMMEDIATELY

http://www.filehippo.com/download_zo...free/tech/?907

before they update to the latest ZA version which does not support W98.

As far as the reminders, I believe there is an option that you can set to &quot;remind me in 90 days.&quot; Other than that, you will have to live with it. Such is the price of free software!

pr Guest

Ok, I'd just truncated the filename to the version # when I askedmy question. I still have a copy. And I guess for my 76 year oldMom's machine, I'll just expect a call every 90 days or so asking"what's this"? :-)You'd think though, that if ZL can set the thing up to remind youif the software is also out of date, they could also detect an "outof date" OS that matches the software and kill the reminder.But, as you say, for free....I suspect I may just disconnect a couple of my older machinesfrom the internet entirely. What with cheapo flash drives, etc.,available / onhand, "sneakernet" may be reborn at my place, andmaybe others, too....Thanks.

rjemery Guest

<blockquote><hr>Evolution_jg wrote:
    I cannot believe that you are &quot;happy using win98&quot; come on man that OS is 8 years old....
    <hr></blockquote>

Its age is irrelevant. W98 does all that I need, while W2K consumes even more resources and would be a slower system overall on my existing hardware. As for stability, I have few problems and no complaints. I am indeed perfectly happy with W98. And so are millions of others. W2K and XP buys us nothing. When the time comes to move, it will be to Linux, not another MS OS.

rjemery Guest

PR,

You needn't be too concerned about having and running the latest release. If you can get it, fine. If not, it is not a big deal.

I am told that even older releases cover all the security issues regarding INBOUND traffic, and that the newer releases only add bells and whistles for both INBOUND and OUTBOUND traffic. The purpose of a firewall is to prevent anything going OUT or coming IN that you don't specifically authorize. The older releases do that just as well as the latest and greatest.

Thread Information