Thread: ZA blocking access to my ISP

ianwest Guest

Default ZA blocking access to my ISP

This problem seems similar to a couple of other threads.

I am using Win XP SP1 Home and the latest version of ZA Pro (6.5.722) but the problem existed before I upgraded from 6.1.744. I am still using Win XP SP1 because I had problems upgrading to SP2 but that is another story. I have an ADSL connection through a Dynalink HomeDSL modem.

Prior to this problem occuring everything worked perfectly. It started about the time that I installed Firefox. I installed Firefox because I could not get LAViewer (Java image viewer) to work with Internet Explorer.

When I first start the computer everything works normally but after a variable period of time - usually an hour or more - access to my home page (which is also my ISP)is blocked. Access to other web sites is also usually blocked though occasionally I can get through to Symantic Live Update. At first I got over this problem by restarting my computer but, as this is time consuming, I experimented and discovered that by shutting down ZA and restarting it access to the web is restored (I disconnect my modem from the line before shutting down ZA).

While I am not a complete novice I have limited knowledge about the mechanics of connecting to the internet and the jargon and acronyms are a foreign language to me so could replies be in plain simple language please?

Thanks

Ianwest

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

futurepower Guest

Default Re: ZA blocking access to my ISP

"(I disconnect my modem from the line before shutting down ZA)"

Is it possible that there is something wrong with your modem?

You modem has a small, dedicated computer inside it. When you disconnect it, you re-start (re-boot) it.

ianwest Guest

<blockquote><hr>Futurepower wrote:
    "(I disconnect my modem from the line before shutting down ZA)"

Is it possible that there is something wrong with your modem?

You modem has a small, dedicated computer inside it. When you disconnect it, you re-start (re-boot) it.
    <hr></blockquote>

I don't think it is my modem as disconnecting it from the line and reconnecting it without shutting down and restarting ZA does not fix the the problem - only a restart of ZA or the computer does. The only reason I disconnect the modem is so I am not unprotected while ZA is shutting down and restarting.

ianwest

futurepower Guest

Once the computer cannot reach the internet, the operating system marks the computer as having no internet address.

After than happens, disconnect the modem, leave it off for 2 minutes, and reconnect it.

Then open a DOS window and type
    IPCONFIG
    and press the ENTER key to verify that you have no internet address. The entry is not case sensitive.

If you have no address, type
    IPCONFIG /RENEW
    and press the ENTER key to be assigned a new address.

Once you have an address, type
    PING google.com
    and press the ENTER key. If you get a response like
    Reply from 72.14.207.99: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=244
    then you are connected to the internet.

That's the procedure for beginning to troubleshoot the problem.

ianwest Guest

Once the computer cannot reach the internet, the operating system marks the computer as having no internet address.

After than happens, disconnect the modem, leave it off for 2 minutes, and reconnect it.

IPCONFIG
    and press the ENTER key to verify that you have no internet address. The entry is not case sensitive.

IPCONFIG /RENEW

PING google.com

<hr></blockquote>

Thanks - I will try that next time I am blocked and let you know what happens.

ianwest

ianwest Guest

IPCONFIG

IPCONFIG /RENEW

PING google.com

<hr></blockquote>

It is 7.40 am Saturday morning NZST. On Thursday morning immediately after starting up I shut down ZA and restarted it and I had no problems all day until early evening when once again I could not connect to my ISP. Unfortunately I had not copied the above instructions so could not follow them as I had no access to them. I shut down and restarted ZA and everything worked ok for the rest of the evening.

On Friday about 5 hours after starting up I was once again blocked from my ISP I checked IPCONFIG and I had an IP address. I tried connecting to Symantic Live Update and it worked ok and I then pressed F5 in my browser (IE) and I was connected to my ISP again. This sequence of events occurred several more times through the day.

My IP address is the same this morning so I guess I have a fixed IP address which I believe is normal for an ADSL connection.

I have checked ZA under the Firewall/Zones tab and this IP address is there as Type - Network, Zone - Internet. I have now added it as Type - IP Address, Zone - Trusted. I have also added my ISP's home IP Address to the trusted zone

Any suggestions as to what else I should do?

It appears from other posts that I am not the only one with this problem!

ianwest

Thread Information