Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZA Free bloats System Restore - Beware

relayerman Guest

Default ZA Free bloats System Restore - Beware

The newest version of free version of ZA corrupts the IAMDB.RDB (holds all the program permissons info). Its not noticeable until you check your hardrive space and see that you are dwindling. In my case I have a lot of programs in ZA that totals about 8mb. Because the IAMDB.RDB is corrupted ZA writes to the System Volume Information/_Restore... /RPnn folder a copy of the IAMDB.RDB every 1 to 2 minutes! Over the course of 5 days my system restore folder jumped to 7gig. It appears that you have to go to Windows/Internet Logs and delete the IAMDB.RDB and the BACKUP.RDB (which can only be done after rebooting to safe mode without ZA running). This forces ZA to start a new database unfortunately. To reclaim your hardrive space you would need to stop system restore and restart it back.If you look in the System Volume Information/_Restore.../RPnn (where nn is the highest numbered RP folder you will see A000nnn.RDB files...a bunch of them. You can literally watch it for a few minutes and see them being added. Relayerman

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: ZA Free bloats System Restore - Beware

The lastest version of ZA does not require safemode to zap those files. Just read about these things first.Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

relayerman Guest

Not true. I could NOT get rid of those 2 files until I was in safe mode (and, yes, I have administrator rights). Believe me, I tried. Even with ZA shut down and rebooted normally I couldn't get rid of them. Maybe it was a network thing, but Safe Mode was the ONLY way for me to get rid of them. In another thread, the same instructions were given for the Update Button not working (that was a corrupt IAMDB.RDB issue as well).

And I did read about these things before I posted. These issues applied to the June 21, 2006 version.

Relayerman

tasman Guest

This seems to be happening to me also, how do you navigate to the system volume that you are talking about

Tasman

relayerman Guest

Normally the System Volume Information folder is in the root drive (eg. C:\System Volume Information). You may have to go into Tools / Folder /Options /View from Explorer and make sure you can view Hidden and System files.

click on the system volume info folder and in the right pane of explorer you'll see a folder starting with '_restore'. Double-click this and it will open to reveal folders named RPn where n is a number. The highest number is the latest restore point folder. dbl-click to open to see all the .RDB files. Its sad really.

Relayerman

pwillener Guest

I don't see any .RDB files. Each restore point shows a snapshot folder, then a Repository subfolder, and a FS folder below that. No .RDB files.

The only (two) .RDB files I can find are in C:\Windows\Internet Logs

(ZA 6.5.722.000 free on WinXP-SP2)

relayerman Guest

You may not see them. The newest version of ZA free 6.5.722 I think that came out 6/21 is the culprit. To get it to make those files System Restore needs to be active and have ZA throw up 1 alert for yo uto respond to. That should do it. I've seen it happen here at my home and my computer at work does the same thing with the same version. Maybe you are lucky.

Relayerman

nhoeller Guest

I am running ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5.722.000. I recently noticed that my NPROTECT folder was growing in leaps and bounds - I found a LOT of 4MB .RDB files that originally came from c:\Windows\Internet Logs, the home of BACKUP.RDB and IAMDB.RDB. It appears that these files are being updated every few minutes, based on the timestamps of the files in the NPROTECT folder as well as watching the timestamp on IAMDB.RDB. I don't recall seeing this behaviour in the past - my NPROTECT folder used to be around 300MB and is now regularly over 1GB.

Is this behaviour due to changes in ZoneAlarm? I do not see an unusual amount of activity in the ZoneAlarm logs (at most two events per day). The network adapter (based on the ZoneAlarm activity monitor) isn't doing anything right now, so I am puzzled why the IAMDB.RDB file keeps getting updated.
    Thanks, Norbert

Ichecked and foundthe same with ZA FREE 6.5.722, .rdb files are added to the restore points. Fortunately my iamb.rdb is only 1.2 MB, but in one restore point there are 114 such files, in another 86! I don't think the iamb.rdb gets corrupted, just rewritten (date modified changes).I have reverted to 6.1.744.001 and there are far fewer (< 10).You can clean out all but the last restore point using disk cleanup.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 07-04-2006 05:39 PM

<HR>tasman wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE>

This seems to be happening to me also, how do you navigate to the system volume that you are talking about

Tasman
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How to gain access to system volume information:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309531

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 07-06-2006 12:46 AM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information