Thread: Will ZA free work ok with my expired Norton2002?

Hybrid View

stwils Guest

Default Will ZA free work ok with my expired Norton2002?

To my knowledge there is no firewall inside my Norton2002 AV. Before I uninstall Norton and download avast, can I go ahead and download ZA version 6.1.744.001 on my Dell Windows 98?Should I go ahead and download ZA and not install it until I'm ready to kick Norton out?Or can I download and install it now?Need some advice.stwils

Default Re: Will ZA free work ok with my expired Norton2002?

Perhaps the best and safest way is download the ZA and the Avast! as well as the Norton cleanup tool first.
    The Avast free will require registration and obtaing the code first is easier than obtaining after installing the antivirus.

Personally I would just disconnect the internet and uninstall the Nortons antivirus. Then do a Search in windows and a Find in the registry. Then followed by a manual check in the Documents and Setting and C:\ and C:\Programs Files and C:\Program Files\Common Files. Then still a manual check in the registry under the "Software" sections just to be sure.

Uninstaller for failed uninstall of Norton 2002:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Ant...003_d3077.html

Symantec Removal tool (cleanup after uninstall was done) for 2004, 2005 and 2006 NAV:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Rem...NRT_d4749.html

Even a run with CCleaner with help!

Then I would shutoff and hook the internet back up and start windows and install the Avast!, do the required reboot and then install the Zone Alarm. However, you could just install the Avast! antivirus second, and install the ZA first. Either way is okay, especially if safely behind a router providing NAT. but I would download all required installers first, registration code, cleanup tools and then begin the Norton uninstall and install of AV and FW.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stwils Guest

Oldsod, what a great and helpful answer. I did download ZA (6.1.744.001 as I have Windows 98) and then I downloaded avast. I did not install either until I had hopefully gotten rid of Norton. I need to make sure all of Norton is gone.

Thank you so much for your help. I printed out your post.

stwils

Enjoy the Avast and the ZA! Love that announcement from Avast when it updates! Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information