Thread: Zone Alarm and Windows 98 SE

daricksta Guest

Default Zone Alarm and Windows 98 SE

What is the most recent ZA version that I can use with W98 SE, with aPII 266 mhz cpu and 128 mb ram? I'm looking for the most effective version that won't be a resource hog with such an old system.Thanks. daricksta

Operating System:Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:5.x

fcast Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm and Windows 98 SE

I have the same problem ofDarickstaon two old laptops(80 and 128 Mb RAM) and an old desktop (64 Mb): is there any chance to have a new "light" version of ZA or a suggestion foran effectiveold release?

As they where horribly expensive "at their time", I would like to keep them at least to write...

Thank you very much, F.

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,

My other two computers I have Windows 98 SE (BEST WINDOWS OS EVER MADE), one has Zone Alarm 2.6 and the other 4.5. Both great on resources, in my opinion.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

4. daricksta Guest

Thanks, Sly.

Being as it is that you were able to write that Windows 98SE was the "BEST WINDOWS OS EVER MADE" it makes me very skeptical about everything that follows......

However, be that as it may, I've heard that the basic ZA firewall code has remained the same in all of its incarnations. Is this true? If so, one could do without all of the bells and whistles of the current versions and be equally protected with the older models?

I had just assumed that hackers had found ways to penetrate the older versions and that was why ZA kept introducing new, improved versions.

Daricksta

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,

Yes, in my opinion it has NOT changed, perhaps with additional security features. YES, the bells and whistles, once again in my opinion I don't need. The computer I use most of the time is Windows XP Home with SP1, and I have Zone Alarm Pro version 6.0.667. I am very happy with the version of Zone Alarm I am using and I have NO reason to upgrade, Zone Alarm is protecting me and Zone Alarm always has protected all my computers and all my friends computers. My favorite saying is, "Why fix it, when it is NOT BROKEN"!

Hopefully I answered your questions and have a "GREAT 4th of July!

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

6. daricksta Guest

I'm glad that you got that I was just kidding with you re: Win 98 SE--although I can't WAIT to be able to afford a computer with Windows XP!

I'm now thinking of reverting back to 4.5.594.000, I just wanted to be sure that the4.x seriesfirewall would keep out nasties as well as the 6.x. I'm looking for faster pc performance (more available resources) as well as safety.

And you do the same--have a happy and safe 4th of July.

Thread Information