Thread: Re: where to get betas?

tafugate Guest

Default Re: where to get betas?

<blockquote>GeorgeV wrote:
    <hr>
    The reason I did not post a Download link to the BETA are.
    1.) There is a lot more stuff on the BETA Download Page New Beta testers need to read, as well as several Required Diagnostic Tools available for Download..
    2.) The BETA Download page is simple to Guess.. this is the zonealarm.com site and your looking for beta..
    <hr></blockquote>

thanks very much, george. kinda what i thought.

can i ask you a sorta off topic question? i guess it should be in a new thread, in a new forum, but i respect yours, fax's, et als', opinions, and since i've got you here...

with the recent ms update snafu, i started looking for alternative security suites. i stumbled upon matousec dot com, which didn't give zonealarm's firewall a very good rating. however, other sites give zonealarm's suite a good rating, mostly because of the individual pieces, e.g. spam filter, antivirus, etc. unfortunately, the sites that do rate zonealarm's suite high, aren't highly regarded in their opinions (sorry i don't have links, i didn't write them down as i perused).

what's your opinion of the ratings criteria? from my own perspective, i've been a zonealarm subscriber since version 4-something, and i'm extremely comfortable with the interface. am i too comfortable?

from what i read (as posted by yahoo maybe 2 months ago) that zonealarm was rated #2 underneath the blackice firewall for firewall now for antivirus and antispy it said to use lavasofts ad aware (very nice can get free version or pay/trialpay for the next version up or pay for the extreme version) personally i use both the lavasofts ad aware on top of the zonealarm security suite and have no problems with either one now as for the site you mentioned ive never heard of it so as for their credibility cant tell you much if you want to test the effectiveness of your firewall i can suggest going to http://www.grc.com/intro.htm and run a port test if all ports show green the firewall is doing its job if you not sure if all ports on your computer are safe i can tell you to block incoming and outgoing udp and tcp ports 0-65535 in custom settings on the firewall tab (ports used by a program will not be interfered with)
    hope this helps
    thanks robdog
    (c)robdog 2010 (picture & SN)
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

tafugate Guest

thanks very much for the feedback, robdog. i have run port tests from several sites, and i seem to have ports open. however, feedback on the respective forums seem to suggest the ports that were open were normal. as my surfing habits are fairly benign, locking down all the ports may be a bit overkill.

i have read for several years the blackice firewall is always rated highly, if not the highest. however, blackice is now defunct, you can't purchase it any longer. i think i did read a forum post a couple of years ago, where a guru suggested the blackice firewall, with separate antivirus, antispam, and ad blocking software. the cost amounted to more than my pc was worth. which is why i've remained with zonealarm for so long, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and gets the job done. i just think it's healthy for anyone to go through one of these exercises occasionally.

thanks again for the input.

really all my ports arent on a lock down (except ports that have no common use) when i have the setting the way i do it just shields them so the internet thinks my computer doesnt exsist (which makes it secure) as for programs if they ask for a specific port (say like firefox wants port 80) itll let them use it until the transaction is complete and then it will shut the port down until the program needs to use the port again so it gives your computer a complete stealth setting
    thanks robdog
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

is this with ZASS 8.0.010,000 BETA?
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

with all of the zonealarm versions

its under custom settings in the firewall tab under main subtab if you scroll to the bottom it'll say block incomind udp ports by default it'll say none selected i changed that to 0-65535 and did the same to the other 3 udp/tcp sections and i did the same for both internet and trusted zones i also checked all the boxs on the bottom half of the window for both zones when i did a port scan from the grc.com website it said all ports were in stealth setting which would tell a site that my computer pretty much doesnt exsist

Message Edited by robdog on 07-29-2008 03:06 AM
    thanks robdog

Thread Information