Thread: zlsSetup_65_722_000_en.exe... NOW INFECTED PC!!!!

scooby_suze Guest

Default zlsSetup_65_722_000_en.exe... NOW INFECTED PC!!!!

Hi everyone!!PLEASE PLEASE HELP..... my pc is now a virus and spyware haven.... ever since I installed the latest upgrade to my Zone Alarm freeware!!!!I've used ZoneAlarm ever since I got the pc... andNEVERhad a single virus or piece of spyware... and since I did the upgrade yesterday my pc has been completely taken over!!!Can anyone help... I'm completely computer illiterate... I have no idea what to do... so please... can anyone tell me why intalling the zlsSetup_65_722_000_en.exe upgrade has wrecked my pc!!!!Any help anyone can offer to a completely dumb girlie would be ever so appreciatedMany thanksScoobs xxx

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

pwillener Guest

Default Re: zlsSetup_65_722_000_en.exe... NOW INFECTED PC!!!!

Do you have anti-virus software installed, and are the definitions up-to-date? If so, do a full scan and eliminate all infections.

If not, go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and run an online scan.

Do you have anti-spyware installed, and are the definitions up-to-date? If so, do a full scan and remove all malware.

if not, go to http://www.ewido.net/ and run an online scan.

scooby_suze Guest

Hi there!

Yes I run AVG as my antivirus and my descriptions were updated yesterday BEFORE I upgraded my ZoneAlarm... also I run Adaware which iswasalso updated beforehand....

I've never had any problems with my pc until yesterday when I upgraded my ZoneAlarm to zlsSetup_65_722_000_en.exe... now my pc doesn't belong to me anymore!!!

The problem is that I'm not at all pc literate.. I know just enough to keep me going... but when it comes to downloading stuff I just don't do it... so I know that the stuff is coming in through ZoneAlarm... it just doesn't seem to be working!!!!

Everytime I run my Adaware or AVG it's picking up more stuff... I just can't keep scanning my pc everytime I want to use it!!!!

Any help would be really appreciated... but please,please, please... keep it simple.... like me... hehehehe!!!

Thanks
    Scoobs

The advise of the other poster was very good. Please do those instructions and use the IE6 for the scan/remove at bitdefender

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

and download and install and update the ewido (it is absolutely free, with free updates)

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Go to ccleaner.com and install CCleaner(free also, just watch out to uncheck the google toolbar install).

Go to major geeks.com and get the LSP Repair (freeware)and put on HDD, like in Program Files

http://www.majorgeeks.com/LSP-Fix_d4180.html

and get the TCP/IP repair (freeware), put on HDD like in Program Files

http://www.majorgeeks.com/XP_TCPIP_Repair_d4521.html

and download also HJT ( freeware) and put in My Documents

http://www.majorgeeks.com/HijackThis_d3155.html

Then pull the internet connection and scan with the ewido, avg (make sure it is updated first before pulling internet) and the ad-aware. But do the scanning in the safe mode. Safe mode scanning is more productive and has less interuptions from the other software that is usually running. Plus removal is more effective in safe mode. Okay repeat all scans while in safe mode, but first disable the System Restore before doing the scans. Reboot and return to safe mode and rescan once more! Clean the disk and use CCleaner to give the pc a good cleaning out.

Now reconnect the internet and reboot and then go to the HJT forum at majorgeeks:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Follow the instructions to the very letter! Sign in at the froum and then use the HJT program and send the results in your post. The HJT is one of the best ways to find and remove malware from PCs. The HJT service is free, excellent advice since these people love to help and are especially trained to help in these forums. They will make sure the PC is squeaky clean and 100% malware free!

Oldsod

BTW if the internet connection is gone after the removal of malware from the safe mode scan then use the TCP/IP repair and LSP Repair kits and then just reboot! connection should be back!

Message Edited by Oldsod on 06-29-2006 11:01 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

scooby_suze Guest

OMG!!!!

How bloomin complicated is all that!!! Sorry but I have absolutely no idea what you even mean by "use the IE6 for the scan"... let alone all the rest of it... what on earth is "safe mode"... or system resource... and how do I disable things.... think I'd better just give up and throw it all out of the window right now!!!

Can't believe that everything has been fine for years... then upgrade what is supposed to be a trusted programme and allsorts of nastiness begins!!

I just don't understand pc's at all... nothing about them is in plain English... and I'm really sorry but that's the only language I speak!!!

Must be too old for modern technology!!!

Thanks for trying to help... apologies for me being so thick that I don't understand!

Scoobs x

Okay IE 6 is your Internet Explorer 6 from Windows. Just use it to go to the sites for the scans since they use activeX to do the scans. Browser like FireFox or Opera will not work for these on-site scans. It is just like the malicious software removal tool site from microsoft. Also turn off the resident antivirus or in other words the AVG guard should be turned off when the on-site scan from the other antivirus starts. This is to prevent comflict betwwen the two antivirus running at the same time.

Safe Mode is done by starting up the PC. When the manufactures screen ( the very first screen that appears when starting up)or called BIOS screen shows ( the one before the Windows first screen whiuch is the one before Welcome screen). Okay when the very first screen shows, just keep firmly tapping the F8 key. Then the screen should show the windows drivers rolling by (they are loading) and then a completely new type of sign in should appear. There are two choices to signin and pick the Administrator signin. Then there will be a panel with something like the option to do a System Restore on the spot. Do not pick the System Restore and just proceed from here on. This trick is not that common among users so don't feel uneducated. it is just something new and like me never too old to learn something new! Oldsod

BTW I just know plain Canadian, if such a thing still exists. I know it is late for you, so make some tea and just relax , because it is not that hard to do. You can do all of this and I will be here all afternoon just to help you! oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 06-29-2006 02:05 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Please if it is possible, give a description of the PC, Windows type (XP or ME or such), the manufactures name , and most important of all please give some names and any info about the malware found.( as given by the Ewido and the AVG and the Ad-Aware descriptions) It will help us to find the right answers. Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

pwillener Guest

First of all, as a not-so-PC-literate, I think you have your computer well-protected, and also your behavior (downloading stuff - I just don't do it) is first-rate!

Your feeling is that all these things started with the ZoneAlarm upgrade - that is a possibility. Many people had problems after the 6.5 upgrade, although not malware infections, but either ZA not running properly, or creating various errors with Windows.

So, the question: is ZA actually running on your PC? You should see the ZA icon in your system tray (that is the area at the bottom-right of your monitor, where the clock usually resides) - is it there?

Let's take everything else from here.

gmanson Guest

I guess I would like to help. We'll take it step by step. Go to this site. http://www.freewebs.com/gmanson/contactme.htm

Do a search for msn and get the latest version.

Thread Information