Thread: Startup

louiserhk Guest

Default Startup

I was under the impression that Zone Alarm was always on. I checked "Overview" and Load Zone Alarm at Startup was not checked. Whenever I use e-mail ZA was working and I am able to scan, etc. Shouldn't this be the default for ZA? If it is not checked does that mean something is not working with ZA? Would appreciate some input to this question.In addition, I amusing ZA security #6.1.744.001. Are all the bugs out of the latest upgrade so I cansafely upgrade to 6.5.722.000.? I do not want to upgrade and have problems because I am not a computer "expert".Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.1

Default Re: Startup

If you continually check "load at startup" on the preferences tab and it repeatedly appears unchecked after reboot then...

Your ZASS database may have become corrupted and needs to be reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

As for upgrading, is there really anything in the latest upgrade that you don't have now that you would definitely use if you upgraded? If not then stick to your present version. Your firewall works just as well as the one in the newer version. Do you have other antispyware programs running in addition to the one in ZASS? then the enhanced antispyware capabilities probably won't make you any more secure and there is always the risk you might start to have some of those problems you've seen in this forum.

louiserhk Guest

Default Re: Startup

ledoc

Thank you for your information and input as to the upgrade. I will take your advice as I do have other spyware programs - don't want to fix something that's not broken. This morning the check mark for "load at startup" was still there. It may neverhave been checked in the first place. I haven't done any reconfiguring as I am still learning how this all works. Still confused about program control, but will keep reading.

Thanks again.

Thread Information