Thread: Zone Alarm will not let my PC shutdown...

furless Guest

Default Zone Alarm will not let my PC shutdown...

I just installed the 6.5 update (zlsSetup_65_722_000_en.exe). Now when I try to shutdown my PC, it gets hung up and will not shut down. So next I tried to shutdown Zone Alarm first andthen shutdown. But after you shutdown Zone Alarm, something is locked out or disabled. There is no longera shutdown option after you click on the "turn off computer" button under the start button. There was only a logoff and cancel option. So I tried to bring up Taskmanager and it would not appear. Control-Alt-Delete did not work either. This sounds like Zone Alarm has hijacked part of my operating system or something in security.When I installed 6.5, I used the "upgrade" option. I am running XP pro.Furless

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

jabhadouken Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm will not let my PC shutdown...

The same EXACT THING happened to me just today.I tried to "down-grade" my install, per ZA's instructions, to 61.744.001, but ZA hung-up yet again from this. I tried this 3 times.Finally, I uninstalled ZA Suite completely, then re-installed from CD, then installed 61.744.001, and it [61.744.001] is working as it should.This is not you, nor is it your settings, nor is it your computer - I had similar problems over the last 2 days and clean formatted and reinstalled from the ground up twice. It seems to be a 65... problem. My original CD install doesn't hangup at all, nor does my 61.744.001.I just hope they fix this soon.

anandk Guest

same problem here. usually have to poweroff. even if u shutdown za, its vsmon service does not shut down....

paolor Guest

Exact same problem here.

hammersfan Guest

Same problem here. PC shuts down fine when Zone Alarm not installed. As soon as I install ZoneAlarm (free) 65_722_000_en, Windows XP will no longer shut down and I have to turn power off.

Will try going back to version 61_744_001_en.

ilpo Guest

The same problem here as well (possibly because of ZoneAlarm). Win2000 and just a blue screen after shutdown.
    Shutdown/poweroff is working if updating a couple of registers for PowerOff but it is valid only during that session.
    After rebooting problem existing again (even registers were changed).

My problem is also I can't uninstall ZoneAlarm because it is saying "can't uninstall because some other program is using True Vector Engine". No idea who is using.

ilpo Guest

Like I said earlier ZA unisntall did not work because True Vector Internet Engine was used by another application. I noticed it was Google Desktop. At least I did not see the msg any more after unistalling Google Desktop.
    But got a new problem: -Shutting down True Vector Internet Monitor: Zone Labs uninstaller: Bad image. The application or DLL is not valid Windows image. Pls check this against your installation diskette (I think because of this \winnt\system32\vsutil.dll).
    Now I could remove ZA when booting in Safe Mode and running zauninst.exe (also vsutil.dll was deleted).
    Not seen any problem after that (rebooted about ten times) but neither being brave enough to install any XA version yet.

Ilpo

csj_c Guest

Hey

If you are using McAfee VirusScan - try this:

I fixed itby making anexclusion for the files C:\Programmer\Zone Labs\*.zap in my McAffeOn-Access Scanner

I hope it works for you too.

Claus

csj_c Guest

A little correctionexclusion should beC:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\*.zaporC:\Programmer\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\*.zapClaus

Thread Information