Thread: Eudora still not working right

isenberg Guest

Default Eudora still not working right

Although the quoted message below says the problem with ZoneAlarm and Eudora has been fixed, it hasn't been fixed for me!

This is the problem with Zone Alarm v5.1.033 & Eudora v7.0.1.0. I have 6 personalities, 5 of them different Email mailboxes on my domain, and 1 for Comcast. On a random basis one or more will time-out waiting for a response (Eudora got tired of waiting). Worse, Eudora often crashes completely, requiring a restart of the program. The Windows error message is sometimes:

AppName: Eudora.exe
    AppVer: 7.0.1.0
    ModName: ntdll.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.2680
    Offset: 00064ed1

Sometimes I get a message:
    The exception Unknown Software Exception on (0x0000024) occurred in th eapplication at location 0x7c96ed1
    The instruction 0x0040da9b referenced memory at 0x0244000. The memory could not be read.

My settings for all personalities are "Secure Sockets When Sending: Never" on both the main properties tab and the Incoming Mail tab.

NOTE: This problem does not occur either when I leave the computer overnight in "Safe Mode" or if I temporarily disable ZoneAlarm. I haven't tried leaving it overnight with ZoneAlarm disabled for fear of attacks. It also doesn't happen with other computers that are running other security software (e.g., Norton).

I realize that Zone Alarm is now up to v6, but I bought v5 only a few weeks ago and was told by Zone Alarm Sales that my product would be automatically upgraded and kept up-to-date for the one-year subscription life.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions people can give.

Ed

sflicker wrote:
    I had a working Windows XP system with Eudora 7 and Zone Alarm Pro 6.X. I upgraded to Zone Alarm Security Suite 6.1. Eudora stopped working. It hung trying to log into the mail servers. After approximately 5 minutes, Eudora gave a tired of waiting error message. In the Zone Alarm Pro control panel Eudora was trusted and appeared to have all required capabilities. The Zone Alarm log showed no blocked transactions associated with the attempted Eudora/server communications.

I got Eudora 7 working again by changing the check mail settings from if available startttls to never. This means that Eudora is no longer establishing an SSL channel for transmission of user authentication data, but it is working.

The purpose of this posting is as follows:
    1) Make the workaround widely known.
    2) Ask how to configure Zone Alarm to allow me to enable the secure authentication login protocol again.

Thank-you.

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 6.0

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:5.x

isenberg Guest

Default Re: Eudora still not working right

Thank you for your response, but unfortunately your solution doesn't help. I have always had Secure Sockets / Starttis shut off (set to Never) on both outgoing and incoming settings. I said as much in my original message.

This is definitely a Zone Alarm issue since if I shut it off Eudora works just fine. I not only get time-outs but if I leave it alone for several hours with it trying to get Email every 10 minutes it will eventually hang Eudora completely.

Would someone from Zone Labs please weigh in with help?

Ed Isenberg
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 5.1.033.000
    TruVector version 5.1.033.000
    Driver version 5.1.033.000

Windows XP SP2

jsynoski Guest

Default Re: Eudora still not working right

I ran into the same problem after upgrading to the Security Suite.

The problem is E-mail virus scanning. If you turn off scanning, Eudora works fine. However this is not a good solution

I changed the Secure Sockets setting to Required, Alternate Port, turned scanning back on and Eudora seems quite happy now.

Jim

isenberg Guest

Default Re: Eudora still not working right :-(

<blockquote><hr>jsynoski wrote:
    I ran into the same problem after upgrading to the Security Suite.

The problem is E-mail virus scanning. If you turn off scanning, Eudora works fine. However this is not a good solution

I changed the Secure Sockets setting to Required, Alternate Port, turned scanning back on and Eudora seems quite happy now.

Jim
    <hr></blockquote>
    When I change the SSL setting &quot;Required: Alternate Port&quot; it doesn't get to the server at all. The in-bound mail scanning was shut off as my first attempt to fix the problem.

I am furious at the lack of support by Zone Labs. Despite my having paid for this copy and well within the first year after purchase, they have been of no help. There is no way to submit questions by Email and get an answer, and of course no telephone support. While I detest Norton (which has its own problems with Eudora) at least they have telephone &amp; email tech support (even if it is often from India). I also notice that Zone Labs says they won't support notebooks at all. Unbelievable. My understanding is more notebooks are sold these days than desktops, plus the people who are more &quot;advanced&quot; and likely to do the research required to decide on Zone Alarm are IMO even more likely to own one or more notebooks. So I guess Zone Labs wants those of us (business &amp; home users) with both desktops and notebooks to have two different security suites installed, with all that means relating to training and support.

I cannot believe that I followed PC Magazine's recommendation and bought this suite!

HEY ZONE LABS: If you are reading this how about providing me with at least Email support including prompt responses and helpful recommendations?

Ed Isenberg

Thread Information