Thread: computer freeze ups

sforsberg Guest

Default computer freeze ups

sforsberg wrote:
    > One of my computers is having a major problem freezing up (the freezes that
    > you have to push the button on the tower to turn it off and then reboot
    > becuase nothing else works to unfreeze it), and one is having this problem at
    > times. I went into the event viewer through the Run box (eventvwr) and there
    > are errors posted around the time this is happening. The following are what
    > seems to be happening before the freeze:
    > 12:29:49 pm- File C:/WINDOWS/InternetLogs/IAMDB.RDB was corrupt and has been
    > copied to C:/WINDOWS/InternetLogs/xDB59.tmp. File
    > C:/WINDOWS/InternetLogs/IAMDB.RDB was corrupt and has been deleted.
    >
    > 12:29:50 pm- File C:/WINDOWS/InternetLogs/IAMDB.RDB was corrupt, restoring
    > from backup C:/WINDOWS/InternetLogs/BACKUP.RDB
    >
    > 12:29:51 pm- File C:/WINDOWS/InternetLogs/SHERRY.lbd was corrupt and has
    > been copied to C:/WINDOWS/InternetLogs/xDB5A.tmp. Flie
    > C:/WINDOWS/InternetLogs/SHERRY.ldb was corrupt and has been deleted.
    >
    > THe SHERRY is replaced with the other computer name, ZOE in the second
    > computer. Does anyone know how I can fix this recurrent problem? The True
    > Vector is the one that is doing this (eTrust Firewall). Are some of my files
    > missing or goofed up? I have eTrust Security Suite installed in my computers.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    Software Version:

sforsberg Guest

Default Re: computer freeze ups

Is eTrust made by Zone Alarm? I have the eTrust Security Suite, andsomeone in the Microsoft forums suggested I come here, as the RBD file is a Zone Alarm file. I might mention also that all three of my computers are freezing up when doing an AV scan, just stalling when it comes to the same file for each computer. I have to turn the computer off by pushing the tower button, nothing else responds.

billc Guest

Yes, eTrust uses Zone Labs products under a licensing agreement. Their versions are a bit older than the current Zone Alarm releases but a similar firewall all the same.

If it is the file you posted causing the problem, then reset your database to get rid of the file. Here's how you do that. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.
    5. Now delete all your temp files and empty your recycle bin.

I'm not sure that will fix the problem, but it is a place to start. Usually a freeze suggests to me a driver conflict or improper install. Let us know what happens.

sforsberg Guest

I have not done the steps you mentioned yet as I discovered the Netgear adapters I use had to have updated drivers. I updated them and am trying to see if that makes a difference. If not I will do the steps mentioned. I forgot to add that I have also been having problems with the eTrust AV doing scans on all three of my computers (this started around July 15 or 16, the last time my scans were run with the schedule). It happens in scheduled and on demand scans. I can do the scan in Safe Mode though, and no viruses are showing up. My Pest Patrol is working fine. I tried the uninstalling and reinstalling, and the same thing happens. SpySweeper had just updated their program (had to download it from the link provided), but that runs fine. AV scans are getting stuck (freezing up requiring a reboot from the tower) when it gets to the same file in all three of them. One is a Gateway connected through a cable modem and using a LinkSys router to connect the two eMachine (made by Gateway and using Netgear wireless adapters, one is an internal card, the other is a USB adapter) . The files they are getting stuck on are C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab<el656cd5sys> and the C:\WINDOWS\I386\DRIVER.CAB<el656cd5.sys>. The 2two eMachines also have these files in the D drive which get stuck too. I found this out by excluding the C files and continuing with the scan of both drives. They are 3Com LAN files. Is eTrust seeing them as bad and won't even scan them, freezing up my computers, and if so, are they good or bad files? I called eMachines and was told that if those files are in the D drive (the system's recovery files that I have no access to), they belong there, Gateway must use them in their systems. I have been trying to send CA an e-mail through their site after filling out the whole form you have to fill out to submit a problem, and in it I gave a description of the problem, and I listed the two files in the message. I get the following message every time I try to send it:Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (txtDescription="...driver.cab<el656cd5.sys> and C...").
    Description: Request Validation has detected a potentially dangerous client input value, and processing of the request has been aborted. This value may indicate an attempt to compromise the security of your application, such as a cross-site scripting attack. You can disable request validation by setting validateRequest=false in the Page directive or in the configuration section. However, it is strongly recommended that your application explicitly check all inputs in this case. Exception Details: System.Web.HttpRequestValidationException: A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (txtDescription="...driver.cab<el656cd5.sys> and C...").Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. Stack Trace:
    [HttpRequestValidationException (0x80004005): A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (txtDescription="...driver.cab<el656cd5.sys> and C...").]
    System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateString(String s, String valueName, String collectionName) +240
    System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateNameValueCollection (NameValueCollection nvc, String collectionName) +99
    System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form() +121
    System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod() +70
    System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode() +128
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +2112
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +217
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +18
    System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.Htt pApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +179
    System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +87Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300
    Anyone have any clues, or is there an e-mail address I can send to CA without going through the fill-out form? I don't think CA has a board like this, and if some of their products run like Zone Labs, maybe someone knows what is going on. Thanks. I am leaving for the weekend and will not be able to do anything until Monday. I need a vacation after all these computer problems!!

sforsberg Guest

Okay, it is Monday and this computer is still freezing up with the problem I listed before. CA did get back to me on that part (I have not been able to contact them about the AV scans stalling on those certain files though), and they suggest deleting the entire Internet Log folder (not just the two parts someone on this board told me to doand then I will have to reconfigure the firewall settings. Will this cause problems somewhere else? I don't want to get rid of the whole folder to have something else go wrong with some other program.

sforsberg Guest

Iam stillhaving problems with my AV and just did another uninstall/reinstall. In the Event Log of my computer it tells me this: TrueVector driver: Driver install or load failure. Load NT Device Driver. Win32 error-Access is denied. I made sure the Internet Log file was empty before the reinstall, and the same problems are also showing in the Event Viewer logs as before (with the Zone Lab files). Is there anything else I can do other than changing my Security Suite to something that works?

sforsberg Guest

Yesterday SpySweeper came along with a fix to its latest program (I had downloaded that before all my freezing problems started), and Windows had 12 updates to install. I installed all of them and the newest version of SpySweeper, and I have no more problems with freezing up, running scans, etc. Must have been a problem in the program. All is great now, and I am happy. The last AV scan (and when the freezing started) I was able to run was 7-16-06, so it was over 3 weeks that the problems persisted. Thanks for your help.

Thread Information