Thread: Problems with Win XP SP2 and Zone Alarm 6.5 722 and 6.5 731

tmaciak Guest

Default Problems with Win XP SP2 and Zone Alarm 6.5 722 and 6.5 731

Some problems I have run into that other people might be experiencing.

I have been using Zone Alarm for about 1.5 - 2 years now mostly without problems.
    I also generally download updates as they come out and for the most part havent
    ran into any major issues with updates.

I downloaded the update zlsSetup_65_722_000_en.exe and ran it from June 27, 2006 until
    July 25, 2006 without problems except for a bug I noticed with the "Lock Hosts" option.
    This bug was minor, it locked the hosts file even though it wasnt checked, to overcome
    the bug all I had to do was check the option, then uncheck it, and voila I was able
    to edit the hosts file. Minor issue.

On July 25, 2006 I updated to zlsSetup_65_731_000_en.exe and found out that I could
    no longer shutdown my system (it just hang there or told me I did not have permission to shutdown).
    I may have updated windows xp during that time and this could have caused the problem but unfortunately I can
    not remember/verify that for 100% sure. However the symptoms were always the same, zone alarm shutdown
    but the desktop did not go away. I could access the Start menu but could not run anything (not even My computer / Explorer).
    However I could access the Virus scan shield in the task bar by the clock. Very strange behavior. Only way I could
    exit was to hold power for 5 seconds and do a hard shutdown.

I then uninstall/re-installed multiple times and still had the same issue upon shutdown. I did
    go back to zlsSetup_65_722_000_en.exe and noticed I had the same problem while the firewall
    setting "Internet Zone security" was set to High (it also didnt give me my network drives).
    Once I put it to medium then everything was A-Ok. With that knowledge I tried to install
    65_731_000 again under medium setting but still had the same issue. I then went back
    to 722 and its working correctly.

Not sure why this is an issue between 722 and 731 with windows XP but thought I would
    journal it for other users who might experience the same problem(s).

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

mrdpenguin Guest

Default Re: Problems with Win XP SP2 and Zone Alarm 6.5 722 and 6.5 731

I have the exact same problem! Been using ZA for years without incident and now the new update causes serious system stability issues. In fact, if I go to disable ZA then I can't open anything on my computer... windows complains that it can't find the file/shortcut...HELP!

tmaciak Guest

Actually the same behavior shows up with 6.5 v722 once in awhile too. Generally if I do a right-click "Shutdown Zone-Alarm" about 10mins before I plan
    on shutting my machine down then it will work correctly. Otherwise if I just let windows xp shutdown zone alarm when I do "start->shutdown" then
    it hangs sometimes similar to v6.5 731. I know it shuts down most processes because if I hover mouse over task bar they all disappear.
    I am not even able to get Ctrl-Alt-Del to work so I can see what process still running.

Very frustrating!

TJ
    www.dailymechanic.com

Do you have UPHcleanup installed? It is an additional service from MS that helps with some shut down issues, by forcing apps to telease the user profile hive. I haven't had problems with ZA 6.5.731 free, but it helped with a previous version of ZA.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

tmaciak Guest

<blockquote><hr>JRosenfeld wrote:
    Do you have UPHcleanup installed? It is an additional service from MS that helps with some shut down issues, by forcing apps to telease the user profile hive. I haven't had problems with ZA 6.5.731 free, but it helped with a previous version of ZA.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    <hr></blockquote>
    Actually

No I don't have that installed. I will check it out though and see if it helps.

TJ
    www.dailymechanic.com

tmaciak Guest

I did download that tool from Microsoft but still did not help any. Had same problems with "Permission Denied" etc. after requesting a shutdown.
    very frustrating!

TJ
    www.dailymechanic.com

Thread Information