Thread: Recent Problem related to ZoneAlarm Pro when shutting down computer

denisimo Guest

Default Recent Problem related to ZoneAlarm Pro when shutting down computer

Hi All, It's my first post on your forum and I'm not sure if I'm on the right message board so please excuse me if I have made an error. I have been usin ZAP without problem for the pasr 13 or 14 months and as I'm sure you will be aware, during that time i have upgraded ZAP without issue. My problem arose following the last upgrade to Version 6.5.722.0. since this upgrade, when I turn of my computer a dialogue box appears called ZoneAlarm Pro which states something like Closing down program. The dialogue box as a progress bar (which turns blue from left to right) which shows the program being closed down. Unfortunately this all happens so fast that I haven't been able to read everything written in the dialogue box. I've tried using the pause button to stop the closedown while I take details but have been unable to stop it. After this dialogue box has gone Windows shows the message "Windows is closing down" but then sometimes it just hangs and I have to manually turn of my PC by holing the start button in on the case. As i have stated this sometimes happens when closing down, but if I have chosen to restart rather than shut down it always hangs.
    So far I have tried the following:
    1. Removed any other software that has been introduced / updated since this problem arose e.g Ewido and
    a2 squared
    2. Use sfc /scannow to check and replace any corrupted Windows files.
    3. Run chkdsk to ensure tnat my hard drive is Healthy
    4. Remove ZAP following instructions from Zone Labs Customer Care.
    Apart from completely removing ZAP (the computer then shut down correctly), all attempts to resolve this problem have failed. I would appreciate any help you can offer regarding this issue as I want to continue to benifit from the security that ZoneAlarm Pro provides.

Thanking you in anticipation of any help you can provide,
    Regards Denisimo

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Recent Problem related to ZoneAlarm Pro when shutting down computer

I'm thinking of a couple of things that could be the problem. The first thing I'd like to suggest is that you do a 'clean' uninstall of Zone Alarm Pro followed by a fresh install.I know you've said you've uninstalled but remnants of Zone Alarm Pro could be remaining that are causing the problem. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin. Now install a fresh Zone Alarm Pro.

denisimo Guest

Hi BillCherryAtl and thankyou for your reply. I have followed your instructions to the letter but unfortunately to no avail as the problem still continues! I would be grateful for any other thoughts as to how to resolve this issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards Denisimo

acorn Guest

Am having *almost* the same issue as Denisomo, after
    having performed a clean uninstall/reinstall for
    another problem, but will address it in a clean
    thread so not to hijack Denisomo's.

-Acorn

billc Guest

For give me for asking but when you said you followed my instructions I assume that included navigating to your Internet Logs file and deleting them after you ran the un-installer?

The next thing that could be causing the behavior you described is that your machine is trying to shutdown too fast for Zone Alarm or you have too many programs that start at boot. I'd suggest you go to your Start > Run > type in msconfig then hit 'ok'....that will open your System Configuration Utility. Now click on the 'Startups' tab , go through the list and uncheck all the programs that start at boot you do not routinely us. Many programmers write their software such that it will start every time you boot whether you use it or not. This consumes resources and slows down your computer. Your Zone Alarm firewall 'watches' each program as it opens and when it closes to make sure it does not try any nefarious activity. Too many programs starting at boot or running at shutdown could be the problem. Remember, you can always start a program from your All Programs menu; many need not start at boot.

When you reboot your computer, you'll get an alert saying that your startup configuration has changed and do you want to change it back. Check the 'Do not show me this warning again' box then dismiss the warning box. If you don't do this, the next time you boot all those programs will start again.

See Acorn post just above.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information