Thread: Problems between ZoneAlarm 6.5.731 and McAfee Virus Scan 10 update

wck Guest

Default Problems between ZoneAlarm 6.5.731 and McAfee Virus Scan 10 update

I installed ZA 6.5.731 (free basic version) two weeks ago. McAfee Security Center accepted ZA as my firewall without a problem. I didn't notice if the reverse happened.

This morning McAfee automatically downloaded an update and then asked that my computer be restarted -- unusual for a virus definition, but not if something else was included. When I rebooted, McAfee ask me to sign in to recognize my subscription, which did nothing but send me circles for the next hour.

After two online chats with McAfee, I was told to phone McAfee tech services for software installed on a Dell. The tech had me uninstall McAfee Security Center and Virus Scan and then reinstall Security Center. Near the end of the installation, a McAfee message informed me it had found two incompatible programs, ZA and Ad-Aware, and asked if I wanted to skip over them. I said yes and got a message that said Virus Scan wouldn't be installed.

After rebooting, I had no virus protection and McAfee Service Center indicated that ZoneAlarm was not up-to-date, thinking ZA was my virus program, not my firewall.

After going around with another phone tech and uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee, uninstalling Ad-Aware, making IE my default browser over Firefox because McAfee can't seem to relate to Firefox, I gave up on McAfee for the time being and downloaded the freebie Avast Antivirus in order to have some virus protection while I figure out what happened.

Does anyone know why McAfee became so incompatible with ZoneAlarm (and other programs) literally overnight, especially since everything had been going so well? Had the honeymoon ended?

Thanks!!
    wck

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

forum_moderator Guest

Default Re: Problems between ZoneAlarm 6.5.731 and McAfee Virus Scan 10 update

Hi,Something in the latest version of McAfee is casusing issues. McAfee contacted us on there issue.Forum Moderator

acorn Guest

This is a McAfee problem. Of interest is its' program was telling you
    to uninstall programs you may not have even been running at the time, but
    simply had stored on your computer. It had a shopping-list of popular
    competitor programs and it went through your registry looking for them:
    Ad-aware, Spybot, ZoneAlarm, SpywareDoctor, etc. The fact this list pops up
    tells you a whole lot. It's hard-ball marketeering, which seems in vogue
    with a number of software vendors recently. They want you to dump
    'the other guys stuff' and rely on their own 'security suites' entirely,
    never-mind the other components of their suite may be vastly inferior
    bloatware. I think they are stepping on their own toes. IMO.

My own cure was to abrogate 9 months of a remaining subscription,
    completely uninstall all vestiges of McA from my system and install
    a better, compatible AV program (faster, better, smaller) that was
    happy to be there. Took a little research to find two that are
    outstanding, but I'm glad I did. These (above) guys are creating a
    vacuum which others are only to happy to fill.

wck Guest

Thanks for your responses. I guessed the problem probably fell inside of McAfee's sphere of influence, and it's comforting to hear that McAfee is acknowledging it. My experiences yesterday with McAfee chat and phone tech/customer services exhausted me. And since I've gotten good information before from the Zone Labs forum, I knew I'd get supportive feedback from a posting, especially since part of the problem involved McAfee's misinterpreting ZA firewall as ZA virus protection.

I still have six months to go on my current McAfee virus subscription and would like to receive the service I pay for, then dump them for a service that is reliable and has tech and customer service that doesn't force me to keep recontacting them because their suggested fixes don't work.

wck

acorn Guest

Understand where you're coming from.
    For me, the extra $40 saved a lot of time
    and aggravation. Hit the wall, so to speak.
    Good luck and regards -acorn

Thread Information