Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot Sequence

addi Guest

Default Boot Sequence

I'm not sure if this is the right forum in which to ask this question ... but here goes. Is there any way to tell Windows which programs you want to boot up first at Startup? ZA is usually one of the last programs that boots up, and, since I have a lot of programs/services/processes/etc. loading at startup that means my computer is SOL as far as a firewall is concerned for several minutes ... and that does not make me a happy camper! I have never edited the registry before but could probably follow detailed instructions if need be. Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Boot Sequence

Addi, the True Vector security engine in ZoneAlarm is one of the first services to boot up so your PC is instantly protected. What you may be seeing in the notification area to appear later on is the ZL Client which is the GUIof the program. I hope this helps.

addi Guest

Thank you for your answer and for responding so quickly. Is there any way for me to verify that what you have said is true on my machine or do I just need to take your (experienced and wise) word for it?Thanks again.

Addi, click on your START menu, point to all PROGRAMS, scroll up to ACCESSORIES, scroll down to SYSTEM TOOLS, click on SYSTEM INFORMATION. When that is complete, click on SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENT followed by RUNNING TASKS and look for vsmon.exe (True Vector security engine) in the list and you will see a start date and time. It should be one of the very first when you first boot up your PC along with some other Windows processes and other security programs that you may be running. I hope this helps.

addi Guest

It's amazing what people know about computers! I did as you said and discovered that vsmon.exe starts a full 2 minutes after most of the other services/processes/etc. Today, I apparently booted up at 12:22 PM ... most services started then, a few started at 12:23 but vsmon.exe and some others didn't start until 12:24. Is that something I need to worry about and, if so, how do I change it to start earlier?Thanks again for your help!

addi Guest

Hi NNard,This is so weird ... I was able to read your response about checking when my other security programs boot but when I tried to reply to it or view it again it says your message was deleted. Strange.In any case, I checked my other security programs (Ad-Watch by Lavasoft and Spy Sweeper by Webroot) and they both booted at 12:23 ... (not great but acceptable) one minute after the computer startedbut one minute before vxmon.exe. To make matters even worse, zlcient.exe booted at 12:23 also ... meaning it booted before vsmon.exe. Help! I'm beginning to thing Zone Labs needs to look into this.Thanks again.Addi

Addi, try disabling Spy Sweeper and Ad-Watch to load at startup and check to see if that corrects the problem the next time you start your PC. I heard there are some conflicts between SS and Ad-Aware (especially Spy Sweeper 5.0). I hope this helps.

You can see the order for drivers and services during boot using Sysinternals loadorder utilityhttp://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/LoadOrder.htmlFor more info, See also my post athttp://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...446&page=2

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 08-14-2006 12:26 AM

billc Guest

Let me see if I can add some light on this issue. First, you need to understand that True Vector starts as a service . You can go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and you'll find it on the list. Services start before running tasks. Here is the Boot Sequence of your computer:

Windows BootExecute

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute
    Services
    User enters a password and logon to the system
    UserInit
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit
    Shell
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
    All Users-RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce
    All Users-Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    All Users-RunOnceEx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnceEx
    All Users-RunEx
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunEx
    Current User-RunOnce
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce
    Current User-Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    Current User-RunOnceEx
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnceEx
    Current User-RunEx
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunEx
    Common Startup Folder
    Startup Folder

You will note that on the applications found in System Information > Running Tasks are not services. True Vector appears on the list because zlclient.exe is a running task. Just like Symantec Core LC also starting as a service has other parts of the program that start as a task. Even Generic Host Process For Win32 Services does not start as a service but rather a task. All services start before those applications that are running as tasks even though some few services will appear on the task list.

I'd like to add this comment. Never in the 3 1/2 years I've been reading or posting on this forum have I read or heard here or on any other security forum about a nefarious application gaining access because Zone Alarm did not start soon enough. I hope I've help to put your mind at ease. There are no adjustments you need to make with regard to your startup.

addi Guest

Thank you, thank you, thank you to one and all ... you have each been helpful in your own way. I was always curious about the boot sequence ... now I finally have some information to help me ... and I guess I'll stop being **bleep** about start up!Thanks again!Addi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information