Thread: Not retaining database

axenet Guest

Default Not retaining database

ZA free 6.5.731.000 on Toshiba Tecra M3 running XP ProSP2.I've experienced this before a couple of times in the years that I've been using ZA, but since I've upgraded to this version, I've lost the database 3 times and have had to manually re-add all my settings (Hosts, IP addresses/ranges/subnets) to allow my laptop to access the places that I need to get to for my work. This is VERY frustrating and irritaing!!! X-(Fortunately I took screenshots at one point some time ago so I know what to add back in. But I shouldn't have to do this at all! The database is still there in C:\Windows\Internet Logs, but ZA isn't reading it for some stupid reason. This almost has me to the point where I'm going to dump ZA after 8 years of use and go with something else that will work correctly.If there was a way to make ZA reconnect with the database it wouldn't be so bad, but there's no way to do that that I know of. ARGH!!!!!X-(

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Not retaining database

Your ZAdatabase may have become corrupted and needs to be reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

In the future you can Back up your progran security settings in the following way so they can be restored if you run into problems again.

Go to Overview>Preferences

In the Backup and Restore Security settings area click Backup

Type a file name and save your settings to an .XML file

This file can be accessed to restore your saved settings by clicking on the Restore option

axenet Guest

Default Re: Not retaining database

Thanks for the suggestion, but the backup/restore function is not present in the free version of ZA. I suppose I could just copy those 2 .rdb files to another location and copy them back if needed.Anyway, I completely eradicated all traces of ZA from the 2 PCs that I was having this problem with and reinstalled v6.5.714.000 which I didn't have any problems with. I'll wait until another version comes out that hopefully fixes whatever is broken in the current version.

Thread Information