Thread: update window will not close

Hybrid View

spikenshell Guest

Default update window will not close

Hi all,we are having a problem with ver 6.5.722 where the update window will not close after apparently finishing its update tasks. It comes up with an hourglass as yo hover back over the update window and will not let you click the close button. Even if you can get it to click the x in the top corner it is still stubborn to shut down the box. We have tried uninstalling using the clean uninstall option and then reinstalled but the same problem persists. This PC is a new notebook with fresh installation of XP Home SP2 and all updates have been done except for the hated WGA notification update. Have installed over 80+ installations of ZASS and have never had this issue before. Any advice would be gratefully received and tried as we are stumped by this problemRegardsspikenshell

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

muffincharizard Guest

Default Re: update window will not close

When you reinstalled, did you use the new version? This window appears right after you finish reinstalling and restart the computer? Would it be at all possible to take a screenshot of this and post it? At least one other person on this board has reported this problem and I'm beginning to think it is some sort of bug.

spikenshell Guest

Yes we did reinstall new version, worked further on the problem and did a system restore back to before we did any of the windows updates that are post SP2. ZASS then worked fine, loaded 5 updates at a time then restarted and checked ZASS for the problem and it worked fine untill we installed cumulative ie6 update KB918899 and then ZASS had the locking up problem with the updater again. We manually download our updates for windows as we work on multiple PC's and were manually installing them offa portable backup drive. We then did a sytem restore to before update KB918899 and then updated for this file through windows update instead of manually doing it and ZASS is now working fine. Can only conclude from this that the update we manually had downloaded and installed originally may have been corrupt in some way. Thanks for your feedback, Do not know how many others are doing manual windows updates but in some instances this may be part of their problems as unfortunately when you manually download to your PC it does not do a verify check on the file that is downloaded as it does sometimes on the windows update siteRegards spikenshell

muffincharizard Guest

I download updates manually from technet all the time, so I'm familiar with downloading updates manually. Thanks a lot for posting your solution to the problem. I'm going to see what I can do about getting ZoneLabs notified and I will point other users with this problem to this thread.

Thread Information