Thread: Question on how to stop the window from opening at computer startup

ryokea Guest

Default Question on how to stop the window from opening at computer startup

Every time I boot up my computer the main Zone Alarm window opens by itself. I wish to stop it from doing this. I use the latest ZA and am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.5

mrgsd Guest

Default Re: Question on how to stop the window from opening at computer startup

Did you ever get an answer? I hjave a similar problem, in that the CanoScan (Canon scanner) boxes keep popping up when I boot up, and every time I try to use the scanner. I have to X-out these every time now (never had this interference before) before I can scan slides and photos.

Also, where and how does one post a NEW question? I only see "reply" among the options. And how does one delete a question that has already been answered?

Fred Mr.GSD@Juno.com (mostly on weekends) or mrgsd@hiwaay.net (faster)

ryokea Guest

I haven't had an answer yet, the window that pops up after ZA loads at the computer startup is not causing any problems. It is just very annoying and I am already trying to streamline my computer for performance.

carolw Guest

<blockquote><hr>ryokea wrote:
    I haven't had an answer yet, the window that pops up after ZA loads at the computer startup is not causing any problems. It is just very annoying and I am already trying to streamline my computer for performance.
    <hr></blockquote>

Please keep in mind that I am totally not any kind of expert, nor even knowledgeable, so for real information, I suggest you go to the Installation Forum. If you do, you will see that version 6.5 causes many, many different kinds of problems. I believe in general, ZoneLabs is recommending we revert to version 6.1 to solve the problems till they get the necessary debugging and fixing done.

I also suggest doing that just as soon as possible, to avoid causing maybe further (if there is any) corruption on your system.

There's some work involved, as you should clean-uninstall 6.5. I used the simplest version that SlyFox posted, which can be found here:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage_id=49818

There's another version Slyfox posted in April, which is similar in some ways, but has long lists of files one needs to delete from the registry - with all the hazards of editing the registry! I had once done a clean uninstall that way, and never want to do it again! Too much of a hassle for an un-computer person like me - too scary! So I was glad the simpler version worked on my system.

I might add that apart from having installed the upgrade to 6.5 (of ZoneAlarmPro) *before* I checked into the forums - a very bad idea - I did have my system very clean and very well tuned-up, immediately before I installed 6.5. Maybe that helped save me from having to do the very complex clean uninstall. (I use System Mechanic 6 by iolo technologies to keep my system tuned up; however, it costs, and OldSod, who posts quite a lot, has a whole bunch of free utilities he uses and recommends that might do similar jobs. I'm too scared to use those; I seem to need somebody to run to for tech support if I have a system problem; haha!)

I expect ZoneLabs will fix the problems. But once they do, I'll again wait a while, and check the Installation forum, before I install any bug-fix upgrade.

Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:09:51

evg Guest

I am running version 6.5.731.000 on two different Windows XP-professional (different patch levels) systems. On one systems I get the annoying ZoneAlarm window upon log-in; on the other system it does not appear. I can't make up what causes the difference.

ai_tak Guest

I think ZA opens it's main window on startup when the database has been replaced from backup. Really it should also alert you when this happens, but I guess it just wasn't designed to do that.

Thread Information