Thread: Zone Alarm locks up my computer for 2-4 hours, sometimes longer

Hybrid View

rtmain Guest

Default Zone Alarm locks up my computer for 2-4 hours, sometimes longer

Hi,
    There have been times when I have been working on my computer and it suddenly locks up. I have determined that the program causing this is vsmon.exe. I have used the task manager to monitor attacks. It takes up 95-100% of all memory(1GB total). It also locks up the hard disk and continuely accesses it(there is nothing else running). Also, the ZA icon in the program tray goes crazy at this time. I run anti-virus, five malware programs, and a rootkit revealer daily. Sometimes, I run some of them more than once a day. This depends on the length of my Internet sessions. I am having no problems with malware, viruses, or unathorized Internet access. This computer hijacking happens when I AM NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. I have read some of the threads about vsmon.exe and haven't been satisfyed with the responses or answers. None of them pertain exactly to my problem. Here are my vital statistics:

WIN 2000 Pro
    Version Information
    ZoneAlarm version 6.5.731.000
    TrueVector security engine version 6.5.731.000
    Driver version 6.5.731.000
    1GB RAM
    80GB c: drive
    80GB f: drive

My questions are:
    What does this program do?
    Is there anyway to control this rogue program?
    Why is it accessing my disk drive?
    What does any of this have to do with Firewall Software? Especially when I am not connected to the Internet(I have a dial-up connection).

These are serious questions and hopefully everyone will answer responsibly. I don't know the the answers.

Respectfully - RtMain

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm locks up my computer for 2-4 hours, sometimes longer

The application vsmon.exe (aka. True Vector) is your firewall's main engine; it is what makes Zone Alarm work.It is not a rogue program but a necessary part of Zone Alarm. If it is using a lot of resources that suggests one of a couple of things. You could have a bad installation or it just could be working hard. Have you granted 'server' rights to any program in your Zone Alarm Program Control > Programs list?

rtmain Guest

Hi,
    I'm not sure how exactly to answer your answer. But, it happened again today. vsmon.exe, over three hours and fifty minutes, had three hours and thirty-six minutes of processor time and was climbing. I was unable to do anything on my computer. I finally was able to reboot my computer and take back my system.
    You have completely ignored all of my questions. You touched on one question, but it was so vague as to be worthless.
    Let me answer your qeustions fully and honestly because that is what I would expect if I had asked you a question.

1 Have you granted 'server' rights to any program in your Zone Alarm Program Control > Programs list?
    I don't know if I granted 'server' rights to any programs, but here is a list of the programs that have 'server' rights:
    Generic Host Process for Win32 Services - Trusted only not Internet
    Microsoft Outlook - Trusted only not Internet
    Services and Controller app - Trusted and Internet
    Sql Server Windows NT - Trusted and Internet

There are a few programs that have red X's and the rest have blue question marks. The ones above have a green check mark for Access and Server. I understand what each garphic character means.

2 If it is using a lot of resources that suggests one of a couple of things.
    That's a very generous statement when the program is taking up 95% of your resources and locking you out of doing anything on your computer for hours at a time. I have things to accomplish and would like choose when a program is doing something like it is doing to my computer.

3 You could have a bad installation or it just could be working hard.
    I have been in this business for 20 years. I find that people who tell you that you have a bad installation and you have to unistall and install are really telling you something else entirely. Basically, your just one person, we really don't care, and we are not going to commit people and resources to your problem. You know you can't even contact ZaoneAlarm techs about your problem unless you pay for it. I don't have any software were you can't even send a e-mail to tech suppoort about a problem or comment. And, a reinstall usually(90% of the time it doesn't) doesn't solve the problem. I watch every install I do on my computer. There were no install problems. I have had this problem over the last two or three versions. Definitely, the last two versions.
    I'm sure it's working hard. It's taking up all my resources.
    Why is it accessing my disk drive? Is it gathering information? What kind of information?
    What does any of this have to do with Firewall Software? Especially when I am not connected to the Internet(I have a dial-up connection).

If it is a problem with the "rights" issue I will be glad and eat humble pie, but I still like to know why it is scanning my HHD's. Especially, when I'm not accessing the Internet and don't have a active connecion. Wouldn't you be curious if you were me?
    You know, I think I have wasted my time. I'll know if you do or don't answer my post.

Thanks in advance,

ai_tak Guest

From the sound of it zonealarm's database has been corrupted and zonealarm is malfunctioning randomly, a clean install of zonealarm will create a new database as well as replacing any missing or corrupted zonealarm files.Here are the official instructions for doing a clean uninstall of zonealarm:http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...ninstalNT.htmlIf you want to diagnose how zonealarm behaves randomly when it's database is corrupted and how to fix it without resetting the database and reinstalling, you can try, but you aren't going to have much luck. And you aren't going to find many of the regular non-zonelabs staff that make up this forum will to go though dealing with a broken installation without letting it be fixed.You can use this form to contact offical tech support and let zonelabs techs tell you to re-install or reset your database if you want:https://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp

Thread Information